Monthly Grocery Budget.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Awesome idea for a thread! This is definitely one of my big interests. Cutting spending. 2015 I had a part time job with no insurance. DH is not employed. Last month I got a full time spot......yeah! But the cost of the insurance is bringing my check down below what I made as part time......go figure.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Yeah, I learned that when I was the volunteer coordinator for a Bountiful Baskets site here.

In a clean kitchen sink, fill about 2/3 of the way with clear cool water and pour in a couple of glugs of white vinegar. Swirl to mix and then dunk and swish your produce around for about 15 seconds so the water gets in all areas. Drain well (in the case of lettuce and stuff like that) or air dry. You can do this on everything but onions and mushrooms. It was recommended for Bountiful Baskets produce because it so fresh and wasn't rinsed like in a grocery store because it didn't get that far.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks Terrie, I'll have to try that. I hate throwing produce out.

Papa Murphy's last night, $27.

food for less today, $111.30. Brings my total for the month to 1246.40

That should be it, I don't imagine needing anything between now and Friday but we'll see.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  4. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    What about fruits does the vinegar was work on them. Thanking about tomatoes and strawberries.

5. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Yes, just be sure to air dry before storing. :)

From the Bountiful Baskets blog

Quote:

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Auugh...I forgot we can't give ovations to mods [​IMG]. I was thinking it was my Windows 10 upgrade----guess I can't blame everything on that. Anyway, thanks Terrie for the info!

7. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have ovations turned off. :) But I am glad you found my post helpful!

8. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio

After reading thru this thread and implementing some goals of my own, I added up all my grocery bills from last month. It's a doozy! Take into consideration we had 19 people over for Christmas, plus went out elsewhere (with food) for celebrations. Also some of the grocery bill this month was to purchase fruits and make fruit baskets & some gift cards. I also stocked up on toiletries, non perishables, cleaning products & such to avoid the grocery store at all costs in January 2016.

My total cost for the month was a whopping $1,052.97.:th

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Ok folks. I'm gonna make January my month to see just how little I have to spend. I'll not go without... If I want to serve it, I'll buy it. And I'll be buying fresh fruits and veggies, milk and bread. But... lots of canned and frozen goods on stock, and plenty of flour and sugar. So today is day 1 of my personal challenge. Entertainment meals will not be included in the total, but... those "I'm buying lunch b/c I was too lazy to pack a lunch for work" meals will be included. Cooking for 2 adults, 1 bottomless pit teenager, plus a 9 y.o. who's here often for weekends.

10. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Well i been buying no meat just using stuff from the freezer trying to get it run down so it doesnt go to waste and by the end/middle of this month if not sooner i will have to go meat shopping. So this month we will be over 600 for a family of four (groceries include hygene cleaning and animal feed as well) hopefully i find some sales.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by