months of the kids begging and the feedstore was sold out of chicks :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Mama 6, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Chicken Mama 6

Chicken Mama 6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Western MA
    We have 6 wonderful hens and not a ton of space. The kids have been begging to get just 2 more chicks for months, today I finally gave in. Drove the 40 minutes to the feed store and the guy tells me they just sold the last 16 chicks of the season to a guy who got there 10 minutes before me. [​IMG] I think I am as bummed out as the kids are!

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] How disappointing! My local feed store has been out of chicks for over a month (I have to admit that I miss checking out the chicks). [​IMG] You might want to try Craigslist. I have seen quite a few chicks listed for sale in my local area. [​IMG]

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Chicken Mama let us know where you lube, bet someone here on BYC has chicks near you. Our feed store has ducks, geese, chicks and keets in when I was grabbing feed today.

4. Chicken Mama 6

Chicken Mama 6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Western MA
    I have been watching Craigslist, but all I have seen is people trying to get rid of unwanted roosters. I can't have a rooster where I live. [​IMG] We are in western Massachusetts. We have plenty of land, just a small coop at the moment (*dreaming of expanding*) so we wanted to just add two chicks. The feed store that we went to had "Aracaunas" (EE) before they sold out...was looking forward to the possibility of future green/blue eggs. We have 2 EEs, one lays a very light green egg and the other lays an almost white egg. Maybe next spring [​IMG]

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

That IS disappointing! [​IMG] I was just at our feed store yesterday and they had at least a dozen chicks. But I'm three thousand miles away from you...sorry!

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Man...I know how disappointed you guys must be...surely there has to be someone around with chicks? How far are you from me? I have a LOT of pullets for sale [​IMG] and possibly some chicks as well...

7. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    lol - i was so glad when the feed store sold out - too much temptation to go by those bins every time i went in

8. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    ever time that i walked in to my local feed store i bought at lease 16 chicks. the 1st time i bought 80 the 2nd time i bought 12 the 3 rd and final time i bought 16.... but i lost alost 2 dozen chicks.

9. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    How close are you to me? I'm hatching chicks and I'll gladly give you two chicks if your close enough. [​IMG]

Edited to add: AHHH sorry didn't read ahead [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by