Monty Has Been Turned Into Stew....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mak, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    We sent our WC black Polish rooster to freezer camp yesterday. He just would not stop attacking myself and our daughter, every time we went near the chickens. I tried all the suggestions: pick him up and carry him around, dangle him upside down, back him down and show him who's boss. Nothing helped. There were times I kicked at him and bounced him off the run fence or coop wall, and he just stood up and came right back at me every single time. He'd charge and flog the fence if we were on the other side of it.

And he wasn't much good for the hens, either. He wasn't really rough mating them. Actually, they pretty much wanted nothing to do with him. He'd try, either with the dance thing or when he got frustrated, just chase 'em down, but they'd turn and beat the crap out of him till he stopped. He never brought them treats or showed them something yummy he found. When I put the treat bowl in the run and let them out of the coop, he'd charge down the ramp and start gobbling all the food himself.

It got to the point that if I wanted to work in the run, I'd have to lock him in the coop, and when I needed to be in the coop, he'd get locked in the run. I just wasn't willing to put up with that anymore. So, we put him in a cage and took him to the farm we get our CSA share from and they processed him right away yesterday morning. He's going in the stew pot next week sometime. The weird thing is, while she was cleaning him out, the woman at the farm held out her hand and said, "Well, there's your problem!" He had the biggest- umm, errr, "man parts" she'd ever seen on a rooster. And they process hundreds of meat birds every year. Even her 3 girls, who were helping her, were freaked by the size. So I guess he was just a raging bundle of hormones?

The impressive thing was her girls. They are fairly young. The oldest is maybe 10 or 11. All three wanted to help pluck him and clean him. They have obviously grown up around a working farm and know exactly where their food comes from. Not a lot of kids that age would be asking Mom- "Can I cut the legs off now?"

I'm gonna miss the crowing, that's for sure. I did like the sound of him out there. But just was not a nice fellow. Maybe sometime in the future I'll try another breed and see if we can get a good one.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You did the right thing!! [​IMG]

3. Relheok

Relheok Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Northeast Kingdom, VT
    Time for a new Rooster then! It's Chick season... Hopefully he tastes better on the table then he treated you on the ground.

4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I love the sound of my roosters in the morning! Get a new, nice roo and enjoy Monty when he comes out of freezer camp.

5. Indianfeathers

Indianfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    I heard and read that Faverolles are the perfect breed to have as a Roo. the next best is a Speckled Sussex!

6. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Good job! Mean roosters deserve to go the freezer camp!

7. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    I have a rooster, that is heading that way too, tried all the training but he's still a jerk
    The only difference is he usually stays back from me, gets everyone else if he can.
    We don't turn our backs on him.

He is not right for us or the girls.
    We should be getting a few roos from our babies, so he is being replaced.

8. PhoenixAngel429

PhoenixAngel429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    East KY
    Sometimes, that is all you can do. Hope he can be put to tasty use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by