mood change before laying?

AndreaS

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2010
Hurdle Mills, NC
Hey guys!

I was wondering if it is common for pullets to get Moody before they start laying? My 5 girls are 22-23 weeks old, and have all been really sweet and friendly since they were chicks. In the past two weeks, 2 of them have gotten REALLY loud! They are making the noise they used to make when they are annoyed ALL of the time! I know that they are healthy, and They have a huge fenced in run with lots of interest points for them to keep busy. They free range when we are home, but they just sound so distressed......or maybe pi**ed off is the better way to describe it
roll.png

The two that are acting this way also have the reddest combs. One is a welsummer and one a salmon faverolles. They both used to love to be held, and now they can't stand for me to touch them.

Is this pre-laying behavior?
hu.gif
I need some chicken psychology lessons!

Thanks!
Andrea

Yes, I think they are reacting to hormones and will begin laying soon. I have an Orpington like this. She gets very moody after her molt before she begins to lay again. She even goes so far as to peck at my feet during this time and ruffles her feathers and growls at me and the other hens. (Some birds do get PMS in my opinion.)

Once she starts laying, she calms down again. (Until she eventually goes broody - then it's back to growling again!
lol.png
)

Last edited:
Sometimes a hen will begin the "egg song" a bit before they begin to lay. They will noisily squawk for quite a while. My first girl did not actually start too long before laying, but I remember the day of her first egg it was hours long before the egg was laid, then she grumbled and mumbled to the other girls for another few hours. Must have been like some ladies and their child birth horror stories!
tongue.png

Oh my. I don't know why my post duplicated so many times! I'm going to try and figure out how to delete them. I'm sorry!
LOL. Thanks for the help guys, I can totally understand the PMS thing! Poor girlies
tongue.png

I'm glad to know they might go back to their normal selves after they get in the groove of laying! They sound so angry!

Last edited:
Oh, she evens out again after she starts laying - until she goes broody, then it's back to fluffing and growling!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom