Mood Disorders and Psychic Animal Communication

Sparklewina

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Red Bluff, Ca
This is a two-parter but I thought it would make more sense to put these two concepts together as they sometimes go hand-in-hand.

I have been struggling with clinical anxiety/depression and was hoping to talk with fellow chicken lovers who struggle with the same. The chickens are really what give me the most serenity and healing. Without them I would feel so much worse. I am in the process of changing medications which is always very very difficult and am having a rough day. If you also share these problems I would love to talk with you and hear your stories.

Also, anyone here believe in animal communication? I have experienced this at various times of my life with various animals but never have I had more conversations than with chickens! I know I can't be alone here. (I know it sounds cooky but we're already halfway there, being the crazy chicken people that we are).

Well I talk to my animals but they've never spoken back. They've had looks that speak volumes though. ;)

Anyway, I think it's all about being open to things. Some people are open to things that most people don't believe possible. I don't know.

Can't really relate though as I don't have a mood disorder. My husband is bipolar and the dogs are a great comfort to him.

Conversations? No. Communication - yes. I read animals, and they can read us, but have never been able to converse with them. Our golden retriever gets very frustrated with me because she feels that I should be able to understand her, but I lack the gift.
idunno.gif

Hey! Definitely not crazy! I struggle with depression and find that I get much peace in hanging out with the dogs. I don't have any chickens yet, but hopefully soon. I expect that as much as anything,the fresh air and sunshine will be as good for me as the hens are. I will say that I have a dog that always seems to know when I have had a rough day... She always crawls on the couch and snuggles when I need her...and she is not an overly snugly dog. I think they can sense things... You aren't crazy, and certainly aren't alone in your struggles.

Hey! Definitely not crazy! I struggle with depression and find that I get much peace in hanging out with the dogs. I don't have any chickens yet, but hopefully soon. I expect that as much as anything,the fresh air and sunshine will be as good for me as the hens are. I will say that I have a dog that always seems to know when I have had a rough day... She always crawls on the couch and snuggles when I need her...and she is not an overly snugly dog. I think they can sense things... You aren't crazy, and certainly aren't alone in your struggles.

Thank you for sharing this. I once had a dog who could do nothing right but she was the most empathic animal I have ever had in my life. She would cuddle me when I suffered and would actually seek me out if I cried.

As for the chickens, I have found mine to be SO healing and actually, come to think of it, the outside time I get and added sunshine probably does wonders for me too. The other day my husband was involved in an emergency and my favorite chicken came to the door to ask me if everything was okay.

If/when you do get chickens do let me know how you feel about them in relation to depression. I have never ever found animal friends that make me happier (and I have tons of other pets that I love and adore!)

No, you are not crazy. We who care for animals communicate with them all the time. Some people are better than others. Animals read body language and try to get along with us as best they can. In turn, some of us read animal body language and we try to take best care of them. We all know that look the rooster gives us before flogging our legs. Knowledgeable chicken owners see the flared hackle feathers and either engage the rooster or run to safety. We hear the cluck of a hen and know if she's happy, sad, disturbed, or getting ready to lay an egg. The distressed peeping of a chick will get the most hardened human's attention. We can tell the difference between the alarm crow and the territorial crow of our roosters.

Yes, we who spend time with animals understand their language. No, I can't get an animal to tell me what their favorite color is but I know what their favorite treat is. I know when my chickens are happy. I know when they are freaked. I know when Stan is thinking bad thoughts and direct his attention elsewhere. I know when my horse is anxious about that horse-eating rock to his left and get his mind busy on something else. We talk to our pets all the time. And they 'talk' to us. Some people happen to hear the words more clearly than other people.

Hi there. I suffer mainly from anxiety, but it can be very debilitating. I love ALL animals, unless they try to kill me chickens and ducks. My cats, though, always know when I am down, not feeling well or having a panic attack. My Woodrow, who is not at all a cuddly cat, will start cuddling with me and purr up a storm. Totally out of character for her.

As far as the chickens go, they all OVERLY love me anyways. If I go out there and stand still I would have chickens all over me.

I completely believe that animals know animals lovers. One story that stands out with me: We were at Ken's best friends house, outside just sitting there talking. This charcoal kitty came by and I just reached down and picked it up. Everyone went crazy!!!! "OMG that cat is feral!!!! Put that down!!!! That cat is gonna take your eyes out!!! Hehehe. I looked at the cat, I looked at them and said "Me thinks you guys have bad mojo". That cat stayed for 5 minutes rubbing and purring.

Also, everywhere we go, we have a vacation cat or dog. Some animal that just decides to move in with us while we are there.

Hi there. I suffer mainly from anxiety, but it can be very debilitating. I love ALL animals, unless they try to kill me chickens and ducks. My cats, though, always know when I am down, not feeling well or having a panic attack. My Woodrow, who is not at all a cuddly cat, will start cuddling with me and purr up a storm. Totally out of character for her.

As far as the chickens go, they all OVERLY love me anyways. If I go out there and stand still I would have chickens all over me.

I completely believe that animals know animals lovers. One story that stands out with me: We were at Ken's best friends house, outside just sitting there talking. This charcoal kitty came by and I just reached down and picked it up. Everyone went crazy!!!! "OMG that cat is feral!!!! Put that down!!!! That cat is gonna take your eyes out!!! Hehehe. I looked at the cat, I looked at them and said "Me thinks you guys have bad mojo". That cat stayed for 5 minutes rubbing and purring.

Also, everywhere we go, we have a vacation cat or dog. Some animal that just decides to move in with us while we are there.

Awww to all of the above! My husband is like that - he just shows up and wild birds will eat out of his hand, MY animals will suddenly pledge allegience to him. He doesn't do it on purpose, he is just an animal magnet! I told him to stay away from the chickens lol

Awww to all of the above! My husband is like that - he just shows up and wild birds will eat out of his hand, MY animals will suddenly pledge allegience to him. He doesn't do it on purpose, he is just an animal magnet! I told him to stay away from the chickens lol
HAHAHA!!! That is so me. My Ken is pretty much incapcitated as far animals go. He is ill and can't take care of them, so they gravitate to me. But then again, that is nothing new. I was the pied piper of the animal world as a child. My mom was my worst enabler.

Back
Top Bottom