Mood swing... seriously off topic!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by insiderart, Jan 2, 2010.

1. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Ok let me preface this by saying I'm not posting this for sympathy, tongue clucking, pity, or anything like that.

Occasionally due to the random flow of various thyriod hormones and other hormones I become suddenly sad. Not profoundly sad or depressed. Just kinda sad. Like just now, I'm watching "Dirty Jobs", a light hearted show by any definition, and boom got the feeling I could just cry. (ROFLMAO, that really cracks me up!)

What makes this most interesting is that I am 99% of the time steady, logical, happy, and laugh loving. I'm not prone to depression, I'm not sure I was even clinically depressed when I was bedridden and on a slippery slope to the great beyond, though I may have been getting there then. So it takes a lot to get me down.

I'm not talking about depression, I'm just talking about, one minute I was fine... then boom. Perhaps it was "Dirty Jobs", a subliminally sad little show pretending to be a somewhat silly informational documentary on one man's attempt to common labor.

Not the normal "womanly" depression 52% of the population experiences regularly.

So do you ever just get randomly sad?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Everytime I hit the time clock at work!

3. Danceswithchicks

Danceswithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I do it when people misspell my last name. I get angry,though.

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I usually don't, but DH does! He does big time and we both know it is hormonal. Sometimes it is just grumpy irritability and other times it is crying and not wanting to get out of bed. It happens about every 6-8 weeks and lasts a few days. I think it is a hormonal cycle for him. He took Sam-E from the health store and it helped him a lot (but, he has stopped taking it now)!

In the rare cases that I do, it is usually triggered by a sad movie that I am taking just way to personally. [​IMG]

5. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Oh hey, I think I just needed to use my inhaler!

6. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Meh, i randomly get depressed over the silliest things too [​IMG]

7. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Yea my DH used to go through that cycle too. Every 6 weeks. Then I read that a man's cycle is every 6 weeks or so. But now we're old folks and he's coming out of "andropause" (boy THAT was fun [​IMG]). He even went through hot and cold flashes. Didn't see that one coming! I keep telling him I'll get back at him when I go through menopause! [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG] Happens to the best of us.

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I get sad every now and then. I've been finding that it's usually the week before my monthly "visitor". I usually feel like the whole world is out to get me and the hormone change also tends to spike my blood sugar. High blood sugar usually causes me to want to rip everyone's head off. [​IMG] I almost never cry during movies or anything, at least not in public, but during these times I'll cry during movies that aren't even sad, I'll think of my horse who we put down a few years ago and I'll cry...really anything will trigger it.

Then the week after I'm back to normal. Sometimes if I don't go out with friends or spend time with people I will feel sad, but I can't say I've ever been depressed. At least my pride keeps me from ever admitting it! Right now most of my sadness comes from stressing over college, choosing a career, and lack of money. I just keep telling myself it will all fall into place and that seems to work most of the time. Either that or I turn on some good music and I get really busy doing something.

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have depression but there are times I get "sad" totally out of the blue and un-related to that. Mostly at the most inopportune moments...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by