moody chickens all of the sudden why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mogli, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

hello i have 5 golden comet hens and all ofem except 1 are being mean to eachother idk why there doing this crap all of the sudden tommarow is the first day of fall here in pennsylvania idk know if diffrent seasons make chickens moody and mean but its driving me nuts seeing them chaseing eacther around and terring the heck otta the back of eachothers heads its rediculous why are they doing this?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sounds like they are re-establishing the pecking order. It happens. Let them be unless someone gets hurt. It will resolve itself much quicker if you don't intervene. Just keep an eye on them, but let them work it out.

Good luck.

3. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks carrie my names mitch ya ive been keeping an eye on them as much as i can latly ya even the dominant bird is being aggresive even more starting today idk why but she is chaseing a bird that she dsnt like much to the point were that bird shes chasing in the run will squat down while she pecks hard into her comb im thinking geez what is ur problem bird ill clap my hands to breakem up when they get roughf

4. egmcvey

egmcvey New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    My hens turned a year old in March. 3 weeks ago they turned into crazy chickens. Exhibiting same behavior that you mentioned in your post in Sept. 2010. What happened to your chickens? Did they return to nice hens or did you have to chop off their heads?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by