Mystery chicken killing young pullets

BrookBottomFarm

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2014
I have a small flock consisting of 6 mature hens, a rooster, and (had) 7 pullets, about 4 months old... that is until they all started being taken out by one or more of the older chickens!

Our coop and run are pretty large. We have had several larger flocks than the current size live there peacefully in the past. The chickens come outside to free range forage every afternoon once someone is home to keep an eye on things. The pullets lived in a separate pen in the coop (separated by chicken wire, so they still were next to the rest of the flock) from the time they were peeps until a little over a month ago. Once they were fully feathered and nearly adult sized, we introduced them to the main part of the coop one evening, and they have had no problems for the first 3 or 4 weeks.

Last Friday afternoon, however, I let the birds out for their daily forage, and about an hour later, found one of the pullets laying in the mud on its size, gasping to breathe, with cuts and bleeding all over her face and head. It looked like she might have even lost an eye at the time. I brought her inside, she was pretty non-responsive, but I cleaned out her wounds, got a few drops of electrolyte/vitamin solution into her, and use Vetericyn spray on her cuts. I kept her in a box inside my garage for the night, and when she was still alive the next day, I put her in the brooder pen in the coop by herself to recover. I kept her cuts clean, she started to eat and drink on her own, and is now acting normally, and her "lost" eye is beginning to open back up as she heals. I will leave her there until she has fully healed to prevent any chicken pecking.

Anyway, I thought at the time that maybe she'd been unsuccessfully grabbed by a predator. It was unusual, and it happened outside, so I put the other birds back in the coop like normal that evening. The next day all was fine, but then on Sunday, I went out to the coop and there were two dead pullets in the run, both with head wounds (I thought one might not even have a head left at first), and another acting catatonic with no visible wounds. At that point, I knew it was obviously happening between the chickens, and I managed to separate the remaining young birds, who are now living in an old duck pen separate completely from the rest of the flock. I thought that catatonic pullet was just in shock, and began mixing electrolyte/vitamins into their water, but she sadly never recovered and died overnight last night. IDK if she starved herself or had some other injury I couldn't see, but I'm sad she was another casualty of whatever is happening in the coop.

All that said, I have no idea which of my older chickens caused this, or what made them turn. I have one hen who was at the bottom of the pecking order pre-pullets, who is kind of aggressive even with people and dogs (she'll steal sticks or treats right out of the dog's mouth and run off from it, and is constantly underfoot pecking at our feet). I've seen her kind of chase off the pullets out in the yard over food, but never being outright mean. My other suspect is a 2 year old rooster who I have never observed being mean to any of my older birds, but in the coop, would peck at the younger ones during feeding time (like to push them away from the feeders; but he didn't chase them or anything). I haven't ever seen anything aggressive from the rest of the flock. I obviously don't want to keep a murderous chicken, but I don't know how to tell for sure who is doing it without subjecting my remaining 3 healthy pullets to another attack so that I can watch with a camera or something.

I guess my question is, is this something that might improve as the pullets age (they were hatched in late April), what would cause things to be fine for weeks, and then chickens are all of a sudden getting stomped, and is there any hope of finding out who the aggressor is without risking another pullet getting attacked?

I would consider other sources other than your older hen. As long as there's enough room so they can run to escape, it's not likely an other chickens did this.

I would consider other sources other than your older hen. As long as there's enough room so they can run to escape, it's not likely an other chickens did this.
It doesn't seem suspect that they all have cuts on the top of their heads and that out of 14 birds, all 4 have been the young ones? All of the attacks have been in daylight as well. The wounds aren't really puncture shaped, either. They're individual, centimeter-length cuts (which I was able to see very clearly with the one who lived because I cleaned them a few times before they began to heal over).

Additionally, right before I separated the young ones from the coop, I fed them so I could grab them out, and two of the healthy pullets came inside, tried to eat and were chased off, and then they immediately ran to a corner of the coop, and pushed their heads into the corner, together, like they were trying to hide from the other chickens.

What else could it be?

It doesn't seem suspect that they all have cuts on the top of their heads and that out of 14 birds, all 4 have been the young ones? All of the attacks have been in daylight as well. The wounds aren't really puncture shaped, either. They're individual, centimeter-length cuts (which I was able to see very clearly with the one who lived because I cleaned them a few times before they began to heal over).

Additionally, right before I separated the young ones from the coop, I fed them so I could grab them out, and two of the healthy pullets came inside, tried to eat and were chased off, and then they immediately ran to a corner of the coop, and pushed their heads into the corner, together, like they were trying to hide from the other chickens.

What else could it be?
The key word is cut, chickens can't cut. It is possible that the cuts are from the corner or another area as theyre trying to escape.
Provide a second feeding station out of direct site of the first.
Also sit and observe them, find out who's instigating the issue and remove her for a few days to knock her down a peg.
How big is your coop and run?

The key word is cut, chickens can't cut. It is possible that the cuts are from the corner or another area as theyre trying to escape.
Provide a second feeding station out of direct site of the first.
Also sit and observe them, find out who's instigating the issue and remove her for a few days to knock her down a peg.
How big is your coop and run?
When I say cuts, I mean more of a gash. Like, not a hole, but more of an irregular shaped gash. The survivor's face was also incredibly bruised and swollen around the eye where one of the wounds was. I can update with a photo later today, though they are healing now.

They have two feeders that we use, but both are inside the coop. Their coop is a 12x10 storage shed with 6 nest boxes and 2 roosts along different walls (internal coop space is more like 12x8 because we have a chicken wire wall where we store the feed bin on one side of the door, and use as a brooding pen on the other.) They also have a fully fenced run with free access that they share with ducks. It's connects between and around the duck house and is probably 25' in length on one side, and another 20' or so on the other. They also get afternoon hours to free range in our yard and pastures where they have several acres to roam.

IMG_3330.jpeg

These are the week-old injuries as of today. They’re starting to close up, scabs are mostly gone, and the swelling over her eye is going down so it’s starting to open.

Second pic is of her mostly uninjured side.

IMG_3329.jpeg

The next day all was fine, but then on Sunday, I went out to the coop and there were two dead pullets in the run, both with head wounds (I thought one might not even have a head left at first), and another acting catatonic with no visible wounds. At that point, I knew it was obviously happening between the chickens, and I managed to separate the remaining young birds, who are now living in an old duck pen separate completely from the rest of the flock.
Can you post photos of the fencing/pens?

Some injuries are consistent with running into or sticking beak through wire and punctures.
Could be one or more adults are running the youngsters into the fencing/walls and they are injuring themselves. Adults can be brutal to some youngsters.
Hard to know which one(s) might be the offender unless you can set up a camera?

Could be predator, rats, weasel...

For this little one it looks like she's healing but can you tell if the swelling above the eye is pus or fluid? I'd get some vitamins into her as well. She's eating/drinking o.k.?

1692415287634.png

Can you post photos of the fencing/pens?

Some injuries are consistent with running into or sticking beak through wire and punctures.
Could be one or more adults are running the youngsters into the fencing/walls and they are injuring themselves. Adults can be brutal to some youngsters.
Hard to know which one(s) might be the offender unless you can set up a camera?

Could be predator, rats, weasel...

For this little one it looks like she's healing but can you tell if the swelling above the eye is pus or fluid? I'd get some vitamins into her as well. She's eating/drinking o.k.?

View attachment 3613330
This one, in particular, happened while free ranging. She was totally normal when I let them out that afternoon, and even ate some blueberries from my hands in the yard, and an hour later, I found her laying on her side in the yard (with several other chickens nearby not acting startled or out of sorts), bleeding and gasping for breaths.

She is eating and drinking totally normally now, and she’s even gone outside (with my 3 remaining pullets only) to forage the last two evenings. I’ve kept her separated at night and when closed up in the mornings so no one is tempted to peck at her, and I’ve been putting Rooster Booster electrolyte and vitamin mix into her water. The swelling above her eye, I think, is just fluid. It’s gone down a lot since it happened (she couldn’t even open that eye until a couple days ago), and it was very blue colored with bruising.

Also, the older hens and rooster have all been event-free since I moved the pullets to the duck house. No injuries or anything out of the ordinary. I would think if the deaths were happening due to a predator, it wouldn’t have only been targeting my pullets, and totally ignoring the other hens.

I just need to figure out who the culprit is, but man, I really don’t want to have to subject the young girls to more attacks in order to see who it is. Gah!

Back
Top Bottom