1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

moody geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sayyadina, Nov 24, 2010.

1. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I have 2 female geese, an African (Ashley) and a Toulouse (Helen). Lately, they've both been more moody/protective of their home/aggressive than they where in the past. The 2 geese and the 16 ducks they live with all hatched the first week of May. I handled both geese quite a bit when they were young. Helen has always been more wary of people but still friendly. Ashley used to beg to be picked up and carried around several times a day.

Do geese go through a moody "teenager" phase? Will they grow out of this, or is the just the way adult geese are?

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    My geese used to be very sweet but they grew up. Now they dont like me to be close to them and the male even bit me once. I think most geese just grow up and get more mean. But I do know some that are still very tame. I gusse its all up to how tame thay really get.

3. glenntwo

glenntwo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Cedar Creek TX
    Sounds like they are ready mating season. It's getting to be time for my Chinese to start getting ornery.

4. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    They're only 7 months old. Isn't that too early for them to be thinking about breeding? Plus, we're moving into winter here and our days have gotten quite short.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My emden goose seemed moody when he was molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by