MOODY TEENAGE SILKIE?

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
Ok, so I have a young flock, almost laying age, but not quite. I do have one older hen, but she is the only one laying. My ameraucana, who is almost 6 months old, has been squatting and seemingly more affectionate then usual. I expect she will be the first. My 3 silkie pullets are 5 months old, and there is evidence they have been checking out the nest boxes. None of them are squatting yet. I know it can be months still before they lay. One of them today seems to be prefering to be by herself. I have seen her drinking, not seen her eating much. When I came out with meal worms, they all came running except the one silkie. Is this normal behavior for a hormonal teenage chicken? I examined her, she does not appear to be injured or sick in any way. Just wondering if I should be concerned. I know that prey animals do not show when they are unwell as a survival mechanism. Thanks for any input! :)

Ok, so I have a young flock, almost laying age, but not quite. I do have one older hen, but she is the only one laying. My ameraucana, who is almost 6 months old, has been squatting and seemingly more affectionate then usual. I expect she will be the first. My 3 silkie pullets are 5 months old, and there is evidence they have been checking out the nest boxes. None of them are squatting yet. I know it can be months still before they lay. One of them today seems to be prefering to be by herself. I have seen her drinking, not seen her eating much. When I came out with meal worms, they all came running except the one silkie. Is this normal behavior for a hormonal teenage chicken? I examined her, she does not appear to be injured or sick in any way. Just wondering if I should be concerned. I know that prey animals do not show when they are unwell as a survival mechanism. Thanks for any input! :)

keep checking if she is loosing weight or not.

Maybe keep her seperate for a few days in her own area with food and water and see if she'll perk up a bit? ...
I had a pullet that started keeping to herself due to bullying I think, so I had her in a crate seperate for a week with food and water with vitamins added in case she wasn't getting enough. She has always been a timid little pullet but was much better after a bit of r&r on her own.
IMG_20200414_105117848_HDR.jpg

keep checking if she is loosing weight or not.
I wouldn't know, but I hope you find out!
Maybe keep her seperate for a few days in her own area with food and water and see if she'll perk up a bit? ...
I had a pullet that started keeping to herself due to bullying I think, so I had her in a crate seperate for a week with food and water with vitamins added in case she wasn't getting enough. She has always been a timid little pullet but was much better after a bit of r&r on her own.
View attachment 2387647
Thank you all so much for replying! After I posted this, she came out and was interacting with the other chickens. She went to bed with all of them as she normally does. It is still dark here so I’ll see how she’s doing this morning. She has always been the smallest of the Silkies and also does appear to be on the lower end of the pecking order. There may be a polish that’s under her. They were all raised with my standards so they all do get along fairly well.
@chickengr I will start checking her weight to make sure she’s not losing any.
@Silkielee, great idea to keep her separate. One of my polish was acting strangely a while back and I kept her overnight in the house with food and vitamin water and the next morning she had perked up completely. Thought maybe she was a bit dehydrated.
If my little silkie is still looking a little punky this morning I will do that.
Thank you all so much for your help, I appreciate it❤️

Back
Top Bottom