More baby rabbits... ~ RabbitLady I need you !!! :D

Hi again, so here are the two parents :

I didn't get to see Lance's parents, but his sire was chocolate otter.
I must say I have more confidence in you than the breeder!
I actually have another litter (not at all from Lance or Elora) and 3 are himi. They were born and after 3 or so days already had the grey nose and looking at Elora's kits I don't think it's a
himi. More likely REW.

SO for the chocolate baby. How would I know wether he is siamese sable or sable marten when he's a bit bigger? I'm guessing there's a difference in colour but i can't seem to find a photo of a
broken sable marten. Could you give me an idea as to how I would determine his colour?

Thank you!
Oh and I really have to get some photos up :D
I've had Himi's that took a week or more before they started showing color, and it often shows up on the tail first, then the tips of the ears; the feet are often the last place to color up. Himi, REW and Shaded do a sort of "sliding scale" kind of interaction - while the most dominant member of the pair is the one you see, what it is paired with helps to determine how it looks. Two Shaded genes (cchlcchl) is a Seal, which is a very dark brown, nearly black, with just a small difference between the color on the body and the color on the points. One Shaded and one Himi (cchlch)is a Siamese Sable, but the body color is a darker shade of brown than the Siamese Sable that has one Shaded (cchl) and one REW (c).Some Cchlc Siamese Sables are so light, they almost look like Sable Points. A Himi with two Himi genes (chch) has intense color on the points, with a nice, big dark blotch on the face. A Chc Himi has less intense color; the nose spot is often barely bigger than the nose itself. Himi and Shaded are both heat-sensitive, so the colors are generally more intense if the hair was growing during cool weather. The nose spot on a Himi is bigger during the winter and gets smaller during the summer; on a chc Himi, it may disappear altogether in hot weather!

With the broken brown baby - I know it can be tricky to tell with brokens; a lot of broken Jersey Woolies don't have a lot of colored areas. Chocolates are a warm, medium brown color all over, with no difference between the color on the body and the color on the "points." Once the wool gets some length to it, it can be a little harder to tell, but the color on the face and feet is never deeper than a medium brown. Siamese Sables are a deep, sepia brown on the points, and the body color is several shades lighter; but it's a "cool" brown. If you put a Chocolate and a Siamese Sable side-by-side, even though some parts of the Siamese Sable might be lighter than the Chocolate, in no place would they be exactly the same shade; the tonal qualities of the two "browns" are different. But as for the otter/marten thing - white around the eyes, white around the nostrils, and especially, white insides on the ears (I notice that Elora has barely anything in the way of eye circles . . . . what can I say? Eh, it happens.)
idunno.gif

i got a color question... i have a New Zealand buck that has blackish grey on his feet and ears but the rest is red. would that be a Harlequin or is it something else? his dad was a broken red and i think his mom was a broken black

Last edited:
i got a color question... i have a New Zealand buck that has blackish grey on his feet and ears but the rest is red. would that be a Harlequin or is it something else? his dad was a broken red and i think his mom was a broken black
Does he look something like this?

This is a color called Tortoiseshell, often abbreviated as just "tort." It is one of the colors that are very likely to turn up if you are crossing reds and blacks.

Back
Top Bottom