More Button babies. *Updated with Pics!*

Sushi

Songster
12 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Michigan
I put away my incubator already, but my button Mamas had other ideas. I just had 2 of my pairs hatch out 6 babies each yesterday from setting their own eggs. Who says buttons don't go broody? I'm so happy to have little baby buttons with a Momma to raise them. I always feel bad raising them in a brooder.

I think the secret to getting your button quail to set their own eggs is leave them alone. They are very shy little creatures and it takes a lot to make them feel safe. I make sure that each pair has at least one nest box in their own enclosure, and lots of cover to hide in. I change their water & feed as infrequently as possible so as not to disturb them and I've had about 6 hatches this year from broody hens. I probably would have had more, but I remove their eggs usually.

Last edited:
Congrats! You know what they say, "It's not true until we see the pictures!"
smile.png

Making a natural environment for quail is really good....bet they think it's awesome.

So cute! Did you get to leave the male in too? My female went broody, and after the babies hatched I had to remove the male. First, he was abit too rough to the babies for my liking; then the female decided she had enough of him, and I had to take him out. But I would've really liked to have seen the male take care of the babies too!!

I hope you keep us updated with more pictures
wink.png
big_smile.png

I am pleased to report that, yes, I have been able to leave the male in there the whole time. He's been tending the babies right along side Mama.

They are darling! I was thinking about getting some buttons myself, but are they very messy? I kind of like a nice display as well when I have a pet, so people can look at it.....

Can you keep them in a cage like you would a canary, or do you need an aquarium type setting? And also, are they stinky?

Thanks for your help....I like to do alot of research before I buy a new pet.....

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom