More chickens... again (chicken math disfunction)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RichnSteph, Dec 26, 2014.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    So our first idea was one rooster and possibly 3-4 hens. Nope we ended up with one amazing roo and 9 hens. Then we lost two due to illness, down to 8 and the coop is perfectly sized for them. We got a phone call from some friends in town that wanted to get rid of a duck and one chicken. So we went on over there and came home with three chickens and a duck. Tomorrow we're going back to get a second duck (and I hope no more chickens) and guess who has the honor of revamping the coop for more birds and needs to get the 750 gallon aquaponics tank in the ground early so the ducks have a place to swim? It's me!!! Oh and I get to take our quarantine coop and revamp that into a near water duck house....

Curse you chicken math..... curse you to bits.

RichnSteph

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I started with three many years ago; now get down to around 35 for the winter... Mary

3. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    I hope I never have that many. [​IMG]

4. Imachicklvr2

Imachicklvr2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    Chickens are addictive. I started out with 4 chicks 2 years ago, but the others at the feed store were just "oh so cute" and then we discovered Silkies [​IMG]...I wanted no more than 10 hens, now I have 26, with 6 more on the way at the end of April! They really are the most rewarding pets ever. They give you eggs, entertain you with their chicken antics(aka chicken therapy), provide great compost for the garden and bug control too.

Now I want turkeys and ducks. I should probably start looking for a house out in the county...

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have 20-something Silkies and Sizzles, a trio of turkeys and I just place an order for 25 chicks of various breeds :oops:

I've been doing this whole chicken math thing off and on for the past 10 years :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by