More coccidiosis questions...

msdoolittle

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
One of my chicks came down with bloody poo yesterday morning. Now I have 3 w/ bloody poo. Started Corid yesterday morning as soon as I saw it. Here's the lowdown:

Have been pastured for past 3 weeks
Eating non-medicated starter

Symptoms: Listlessness, anorexia, blood tinged poo, some gasping (in 2 chicks)

Treating w/ 9.6% Corid (amprolium) in water (using about 4.25cc in 1/2 gallon water), mixed up daily

So, when should I start seeing them 'turn around'? Only been 24 hours on the treated water.

Thanks! :0D

It could be too late for some of the chicks as Cocci can kill quickly. Dosing with the Corid should be at the rate of 2 tsp. per gallon for 5 days, then dose with Albon (Sulfadimethazine) for another 6-7 days. Chicks should be kept warm & given a high quality diet & I'd add vitamins/electrolytes to their water. Cut out all high protein snacks. They need to be kept in a dry and very clean environment to prevent them from continuing to re-infect themselves. Personally, I'd take them off the dirt and put them on shavings or wire until the crisis is passed. Good luck with the babies. Karen

Karen's advice is right on target, except I would use 3 tbsp per 5 gallons of water--a little higher doseage since they sound pretty sick. I just had a bout with the Cocci myself, and all my chicks made it. I noticed the bloody poo right away before other symptoms showed up though......They were just outside for a few weeks like yours, and the run was just dirt. The vet said that with our weather being super hot, humid and wet, it's the perfect breeding ground for cocci.

Good luck to you and I hope your birds make it.

Oh, I should mention that my Corid was a powder, and it was a 20% dosage for cows, but there was a phone number on the package and I called the vet for the correct doseage for my chicks. The Corid cost about $20, and I bought it at TSC.

Good luck, good luck good luck!

Thanks, guys.

I am dosing @ 5mL per 1/2 gallon, this would equal 2 tsp per gallon. I am also wondering about feeding them some medicated feed as well....don't want to over do it though.

I also do have them inside, on clean shavings, scooping the poo as best I can. I am really only worried about one of the chicks for right now...not so sure about her, but I think everyone else should be ok, if we can prevent a secondary bacterial infection.

Guess I'll be feeding the chicks medicated starter from here on out. Just had 6 more hatch today; I don't want them to go through the same thing :0P

Guess they just got overwhelmed with the cocci.

:0) Thanks again.

Mine all seem to get cocci, even with medicated feed, but I have never lost any from it. The first thing I usually notice is the listlessness, and then when I seperate them I notice the blood. Many the feed helps them a little.

When I treat them I usually start with putting a little of the med/water mix on the chicks beak, especially if they are droopy already. Or I dip their beak, I want to make sure they drink. I also make it a little stronger the first day for the sickly ones. I use 1 T. / gallon, just for the first day. I only do the 5 day treatment with Corid, nothing after that.

Again, this is what works for me, others may do it differently. But don't be lulled into thinking that the medicated feed will prevent this, it won't.

I haven't ever used medicated feed, due to the fact I figured that they would get natural immunity w/o using it. BUT, since this is about my 6th successive batch of chicks, I am sure that the Coccidia oocysts are very plentiful in the soil now. I guess it is just part of raising chickens ;0)

I hope this sicker one will pull through. Not terribly worried about anyone else yet. Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice.

Back
Top Bottom