More conversation on brooding outside

annabellaknits

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
I have been reading all these posts about brooding outside and have some questions for those who have had success.

Main question is this. I haven't bought chicks in forever as I prefer to hatch from my own flock. I find that the first two or three days are critical as I always have at least one or two choke out of maybe 35 chicks so I always keep them inside so I can be the watchful eye. So for those that brood outside and hatch yourselves when do you move then out?

Other question my flock, 100 birds or so, live down the street, 5 minutes away. I run an egg share and so I have a travel trailer that gets moved around with electric fencing, like the chicken mob grazer. I raise all the chicks at home until about 10 weeks. And then move them over to the big girls down the street. Down the street I also keep breeding pens about 6 with 3-5 chickens in each.

At home I keep quail and ducks. Can you guys think of a way I can do this? My main draw to brooding them outside would be integration. As integrating at ten weeks with 100 chickens is a challenge. I could maybe make an area in the travel trailer? But they wouldn't have access to outside? I can definitely raise them outside at my home but that wouldn't help with intervention. Or is that idea pointless because I'm on a larger scale? Thoughts and ideas would be great!!

I live in Michigan, so cold and variable temperatures My broody hens raise their chicks in a big dog crate out in the coop for the first ten to fourteen days, and then the door is opened and they integrate into the flock. Otherwise, I start chicks in a brooder (large water trough) in the garage, and move them out to a section of the coop divided off from the adults, with their heat lamp, until they don't need the lamp and are feathered out. Then the door is opened when the flock is free ranging, and gradual integration happens. Iock them in separately for a week or so, and watch for any real issues, but haven't had problems. Mary

That is what I do know but would love to be able to brood them outside rite away with the girls

If integration is the problem most troubling you, I recommend the "panic room" method. It's practically fool proof. A safe pen with 5 x 7 openings will afford the chicks access to the coop, run or even out free ranging while insuring a safe refuge where food and water are available so they don't have to compete with the adults for them, and they are always assured a safe haven.

You may have already read my article on brooding outdoors. If not, it's the second one linked down below my post. It has pictures and explanations of the panic room.

If integration is the problem most troubling you, I recommend the "panic room" method. It's practically fool proof. A safe pen with 5 x 7 openings will afford the chicks access to the coop, run or even out free ranging while insuring a safe refuge where food and water are available so they don't have to compete with the adults for them, and they are always assured a safe haven.

You may have already read my article on brooding outdoors. If not, it's the second one linked down below my post. It has pictures and explanations of the panic room.

I did read it that's what spurred my questions thanks!! I'm just not sure about doing it when my walkway out of the tracker is a bit high and steep and with so many birds. Worried they would just get trampled. Plus concerned if they made it outside would they be able to get back in quick enough? And electric fencing? I guess I could do it only when I'm there watching?

Good day
Just read Azygous's article on brooding outside so cool
Just got our chicks (25) a week ago, brooding inside, first timers and having a blast. But we were just discussing how to move outside and voila your article pops up.

Still have concerns as we get down too 30 at night soooooo, our plan is to put heat lamp in our henhouse which is 4x4 raised three feet off ground. A ramp leads to a 8x10 yard.

So after reviewing the article. We put our heat lamp in the henhouse, which is insulated monitor the heat and let them out during warm days.

What are we missing it seems to simple the chicks are five sex sal links and twenty rock cross Giants

Thanks in advance

Rhonda

Back
Top Bottom