More eggs than chickens??

Tag me if you do and let me know if it really works or it's just one of those stupid hacks that people ignorantly repeat, please?

Also, in the past I would have said "don't use red". I've decided that is an old wives tail... their combs, ear, lobes waddles... are already red. Their vent seems pretty pink as well... but it's covered with feathers.

I think chickens inspect things of many colors (my scabs are usually more brownish than red) and when one gets a chunk out of the scab and discover the blood... they really like the richness of the blood. I don't thin it has anything to do with being red. Also, a friend got an order of chicks that was being shared with others... and the hatchery sent them with big food coloring spots right on their heads to identify the groups that go together... including red. :confused:
I don't know if I will do it right now....it sounds complicated, and it seems like you would be able to tell by pelvic bones......

Just a question... Doesn't it seem like if you put food coloring on skin, and it was exposed, that it would just dry out, and not put any color on the egg?

Thing is, chickens are supposed to get red combs and wattles when they're laying' correct?
None of mine have that, so that's why I thought possible silkie, because you can't really tell colors on their combs.
I'm going to check all my Silkie's vents and pelvic bones tonight, I think.
Don't know about silkies and their combs......butt(haha) the vent and pelvic bones should tell the tale, might take numerous 'checks' to track their progress/status. It take some practice and repeats to see comparative sizes.

Just a question... Doesn't it seem like if you put food coloring on skin, and it was exposed, that it would just dry out, and not put any color on the egg?
From what I've read, it's bit of a crap shoot, sometimes literally because pooping can smear off the coloring.
Gel type food coloring is much better than the liquid kind.

Back
Top Bottom