More eye pictures please look and see if you can help

honey101

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Here are a few more pictures if anyone has any ideas please help.
50654_eye_pic.jpg

50654_swollen_eye.jpg

Last edited:
Awwww poor baby!
sad.png

It could possibly be infectious coryza, but I'm not sure. I found a website and this is what it says about it:

Disease:
Infectious Coryza-affects Chickens only
Prevention (P) and Treatment (T):
P-Don't mix age groups. T-Antibiotics or sulfa drugs effective in some cases. Use as cleared by vet.

It could also possibly be Avian Pox???

Disease:
Avian Pox-affects Most birds
Signs and Lesions:
Dry Pox; small yellow warts on wattles, comb, face. These increase in size. Dark brown scabs form, then drop off. Wet Pox; yellow, cheesy lesions in mouth, windpipe.

Here's the website:
http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

Hopes this helps and good luck!
hugs.gif

I just went back to the feed store and took her, they wanted to trade her, but i would rather not have her put back in the bin. So I bought tetracycline, and mixed it in her water and something called Vetrx....for the relief of colds, roup,scaly legs and eye worm. It is a camphor based "remedy". They can not tell me what she has, but some of the others of the same breed have it. So I have her in a seperate room and am going to try to take care of her, and hopefully she will get better.....if anyone knows about the vetrx please let me know....it seems i have to dilute it and rub it in the nasal passage with a qtip?

Thanks for helping a new comer.

Awww honey I am sorry for your chick
sad.png
Looks alot like the 3 month olds I had to cull after treating them for the same kind of thing for 14 days on tetracycline and another few weeks of waiting it never did go away and the smell coming from ones face was absolutely disgusting. I culled because I didn't want to take a chance on any of them being carriers and infecting my other birds.

The vetrx is great stuff, soooo many uses. Take a warm cup of water and put the bottle in there to warm it up. Put a dab under each wing and at the back of the neck as well as in the nostrils, you can also add it to their water but the water has got to be warm. Good luck with your baby I hope she pulls thru for you
hugs.gif

ETA: You can also get terramycin eye ointment at the feed store to put in her eye. First clean the eye and around it with a warm wash cloth getting as much of the gunk out as possible then apply ointment to the eye twice a day.

Last edited:
I had one like that. VetRx will definitely make them feel better. The terramycin eye ointment is a good idea and we used that, too. But you should also makes sure that he is eating well. Sometimes, if they just feel bad, they don't. I mixed a little sugar in the water and also supplemented the chick mash with chopped boiled egg. We also put our guy on Duramycin. Our very sick chick ultimately recovered (took a couple of weeks) and is now our flock rooster- a great guy, and well worth the effort.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom