More Goose Questions!

A Couple of Geese

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
Thank you everyone for the help so far with answering my questions. I've got more! I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can the right way.

My two are around 15 weeks now, I think. The routine has been they go outside in a pen I have in the yard. For two geese, there's a good amount of space with drinking water, grass, and a pool they use. When it's about to get dark I've been bringing them back inside where they have an indoor pen they sleep in net to my office in the basement. This has pine chips in it, food, water, toys. They seem to enjoy it and we make it bigger and bigger as they have gotten bigger. Is there any potential problem with this? Is there anything that should be noted or changed with this routine?

Also, I've been considering how I hold them both now that the male is pretty big (they're pilgrims). I've been putting both hands under their stomach area where their legs are and picking them up that way. Usually with this they are facing me and will rest their necks on my shoulder (probably for balance also). Is there anything wrong holding them this way? Is there a point where they are too big and I should maybe stop trying to hold them or carry them so much?

Finally, the female has grown to have the standard goose honk sounds. The male is still making these soft whistling sounds. They don't sound bad or anything, they're amazing, but I expected him to start honking more as well. He has occasionally yelled when I've walked away, but it's rare. Usually she does the yelling when I leave. He does that whining sound a lot too when I'm walking away or not paying attention to them. Is there anything I should watch out for with any of that as they age into adulthood?

Thank you so much everyone! I know it's a lot of questions.

Thank you everyone for the help so far with answering my questions. I've got more! I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can the right way.

My two are around 15 weeks now, I think. The routine has been they go outside in a pen I have in the yard. For two geese, there's a good amount of space with drinking water, grass, and a pool they use. When it's about to get dark I've been bringing them back inside where they have an indoor pen they sleep in net to my office in the basement. This has pine chips in it, food, water, toys. They seem to enjoy it and we make it bigger and bigger as they have gotten bigger. Is there any potential problem with this? Is there anything that should be noted or changed with this routine?

Also, I've been considering how I hold them both now that the male is pretty big (they're pilgrims). I've been putting both hands under their stomach area where their legs are and picking them up that way. Usually with this they are facing me and will rest their necks on my shoulder (probably for balance also). Is there anything wrong holding them this way? Is there a point where they are too big and I should maybe stop trying to hold them or carry them so much?

Finally, the female has grown to have the standard goose honk sounds. The male is still making these soft whistling sounds. They don't sound bad or anything, they're amazing, but I expected him to start honking more as well. He has occasionally yelled when I've walked away, but it's rare. Usually she does the yelling when I leave. He does that whining sound a lot too when I'm walking away or not paying attention to them. Is there anything I should watch out for with any of that as they age into adulthood?

Thank you so much everyone! I know it's a lot of questions.
You’re doing everything just fine!

Your setup sounds fine, you pick them up how I pick them up, the friendly ones that is. If you keep it a routine picking them up at least once a day, it keeps them used to being picked up and handled, which just makes life all around easier.
Their voices are normal, it’s a good sign if they cry for you as you walk away, it means they love you.
It sounds like you’re doing everything that needs to be done to raise well rounded geese.

Back
Top Bottom