More help needed please:)-Integrating chicks to coop

Update, she is still chasing them some and trying to pull their tail feathers🤨So… more separated (with some supervised?) days, yes? 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Do they have places that they can go where she can't?

If so, the flock can be let to work it out unless you find that blood is being drawn.

Suggestion for what to use for roosting bar and how high up (relative to the shelf and venting)?
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Any wooden bar approx 2" or wider is fine, round or square or rectangular. You need roughly 12" of roost per bird, at least 12" away from the walls.

Does this work?
How long is that? Is it actually secured in place (since it's sitting on cardboard I'm guessing the answer is no)? Needs to be well secured so it doesn't wobble or shift when they fling themselves at it.

Any wooden bar approx 2" or wider is fine, round or square or rectangular. You need roughly 12" of roost per bird, at least 12" away from the walls.

How long is that? Is it actually secured in place (since it's sitting on cardboard I'm guessing the answer is no)? Needs to be well secured so it doesn't wobble or shift when they fling themselves at it.
It looks like it's not even attached at the end nearest the camera. That won't do at all unless it's attached.

It looks like it's not even attached at the end nearest the camera. That won't do at all unless it's attached.
It is not screwed in on this end, correct. The long screw on the opposite end had it completely secured in place (I couldn’t move it without taking out the screw).
It was in the fly and I have worked on a different roost today.
Thank you for your help!

Got it thanks! I did have it secured in place as advised :)

The little coop (10sq ft coop-designed for bantams) to house my little flock (photo below):
11-month old silkie hen has been on her own for 2-3 months.
I have been working to acclimate chicks to the temperates (low 20s at night high 40s during the day) and integrate the two 7-week old chicks (EE and welsummer) with the lone Silkie.
I did the see no touch and then some supervised interacting in the garage set up:
Silkie chased and pecked at them some, they were able to run away and they have been sharing the feeder (at the same) respectfully.
yesterdAy was the day to move them outside.
In the run (supervised): the silkie chased them a lot more, and looked like she was making an effort to pull their behind feathers out as she did. They had separate feed/water areas.
I partitioned it off (photo below) but was still hopeful I could get them in the coop together last night:
there is a high up shelf with a roost that Id hoped they’d use if I put them up there and the silkie would sleep down low as she always have.

I probably approached it all wrong.
I putting the chicks in first (up high on their roost) but they jumped right off and I didn’t feel comfortable letting the silkie in with them so they went back into the garage.
Should I add a partition across the top so they stay up there together until I let them out separately, for the short term (Photo below)? (both heating plates will be on brooder settings so EE and Welsummer shouldn’t get too hot trapped up thereof partitioned. I added the thermometer to keep an eye on temp).

Still trying my best to figure it out as I go and the insights/direction from you all has been super helpful.

Thank you!!
Doing my best on the fly! Did not anticipate the silkie losing her flock mid winter and not being able to find bantams (for which the coop was designed/built this time last year),
I’d have built a different coop had I known I’d end up with standard breeds!

I will keep them separated for the time being as she’s still chasing them some. Unfortunately they are the same size as her now so haven’t figured out how to create a small entrance to a “safe” place that she can’t also squeeze through.
They do have the chairs they fly up to tho and she doesn’t hop there with them (tho could!)

Thanks for helping me get it set up as I go. Still learning a lot:)

Doing my best on the fly! Did not anticipate the silkie losing her flock mid winter and not being able to find bantams (for which the coop was designed/built this time last year),
I’d have built a different coop had I known I’d end up with standard breeds!

I will keep them separated for the time being as she’s still chasing them some. Unfortunately they are the same size as her now so haven’t figured out how to create a small entrance to a “safe” place that she can’t also squeeze through.
They do have the chairs they fly up to tho and she doesn’t hop there with them (tho could!)

Thanks for helping me get it set up as I go. Still learning a lot:)
It's always a learning process, lol. Believe me, we know! We're always glad to help so feel free to keep asking. Trust me, we don't mean to be critical or judgmental, we sincerely want to help. Everybody was a rank brginner at one time. There are SO many things I wish I had done differently in my own coop and I am still fixing. We had a great big window built right next to the roosts and practically no other ventilation, ugh. Took us a while to figure out why they wouldn't roost there, duh! Oh well, live and learn!

Back
Top Bottom