More ID help- chicken newbie!

Poor little chick. She's lucky to find you.
smile.png
There are many breeds that have the silver duck wing coloring, so time will tell, but I do believe she is an OEGB.

It'd be helpful if you had something to compare her size with, even on your hand. OEGB are very tiny birds, a full grown hen will only weigh about 2lbs.

I agree that she is a lucky little chicken. She is definately a girl too. Males do not come in that coloration. She would probably be happy with another little hen friend when she gets better. Good luck and welcome to the world of chickens!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind words.

I wondered if chickens were happier with other chicken friends... I think we'll have to get through the first few months before we can do anything. My husband is in enough shock as it is!
wink.png

I did get starter feed the day after we found her, and per the vets advice have added a calcium supplement and some cracked corn. She also loves to roam around the backyard getting her fill of "the real stuff'!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
smile.png

Last edited:
I just took a photo that should help with the question about her size- what do you think?
big_smile.png

chcikensize.jpg

It's really hard to know what she is until she fills out. I am still betting on game hen. My old english game bantams are built alot different from her, and she doesn't look phoenix to me. She could be as young as 8 weeks old which could explain her small size. Good luck with her. I'm sure she will be big beautiful and healthy once she has eaten good food for a little while.

Against your vet's advice, if she is eating grower feed, I wouldn't give any calcium supplement. Too much calcium for young birds is bad for their livers. The cracked corn is fine but that is pretty much a treat. The grower feed alone will provide a good base nutrition. Hope she pulls through, she doesn't look very happy in the picture, a bit lethargic looking to me. Good luck, you're her lucky charm for sure!

WOW - she looks like Ruth's twin sister.

Here's Ruth:

Taken a couple of days ago.

MynameisRuth.jpg

Those are leaves - so you get that she is really small. Your chick looks huge by comparison.

MyBabyRuth.jpg

Taken a couple of weeks ago

Ruth2.jpg

Visit my personal page or some of my previous posts for the whole saga of Ruth. She's 10 weeks old in this photo and still no comb, or tail, and not much of a body - just wings and still has a twisted neck. Don't know if she was hurt in shipping to the feed store - if she had a disease - or if she had a vitamin deficiency - but I have been hand feeding her and giving her extra food and TLC for most of her life. She is only about 1/5th the size of the other EEs (Easter Eggers) I bought when I bought her. I too wondered about what kind of chicken she was and even thought she might be a little owl because that's what she looked like for a long time. Anyway, she and the others were sold to me as Aracaunas and even when I questioned the man he stuck to his story - wouldn't even go so far as to call them Americaunas - even when I called him a week later and said they are growing tails and muffs - nope - Aracauna. Well I know he either lied or is sadly misinformed himself but it does raise the question - what is Ruth?

I would feed your new find, whatever she is, high protein things like shredded cheese and cut up luncheon/sandwich meats along with fresh cut up greens, vegetables, and fruits. Ruth (and all my chickens) only eat starter/grower feed as a supplement - ever since I found her "mostly" dead in their cage at 4 weeks old.

I'm guessing that someone got their kid a "cute baby chick" for Easter and then threw the thing out when they grew tired of it. Happens all the time. She looks to be about that age. I'm glad she found a new home.

Last edited:
I wanted to get some pics of Lilly looking "happy", because it seems like the only ones I have are of her when she's sleeping. So, here they are- happy Lilly!
smile.png

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom