More leg problems...

Oct 15, 2023
So...We are dealing with a lot of leg problems here:barnie My black sex-link mix came out of the coop this morning with a bad limp. After checking her leg over I found this weird bump. Is this a fracture, break? Do I need to splint this? It's kinda hard to tell from the pics but its really obviously sticking out.
IMG_3773.jpg
IMG_3774.jpg
IMG_3775.jpg

Are you seeing any movement of the bone when she walks on it? Is she putting the leg down? Is it different that her other leg in appearance? How high are your roosts? Do you have a few roosters running around? You could limit her activity in a dog crate with food and water for a day or two, and see how she is doing.

I can't tell, its hard to see. Its at the top of her legs so it's hidden by her feathers. She is putting it down, but she has a bad limp. Not that I can see. Our roosts are pretty steep, (we are going to build a better coop soon though). This morning I could already tell something was wrong because when I went out she was still in the coop and she is usually the first one out. I heard her jump down when I called her and that's when I first saw her come out limping. We have one very naughty rooster, but he hardly mates with her. Okay, I don't think that's an option because, I already have a chicken inside I'm draining with Ascites and another chicken with a different foot problem, but I will keep a close watch on her. Would you suggest trying to splint it?

Our roosts are pretty steep, (we are going to build a better coop soon though). This morning I could already tell something was wrong because when I went out she was still in the coop and she is usually the first one out. I heard her jump down when I called her and that's when I first saw her come out limping.
She may have sprained it. Hard to know.

I wouldn't splint it either unless it's very clear that there's a break.

Photos of your roosts and how steep they are? I get that you're going to build a different coop soon, but it may be a good idea to make some changes to existing roosting setup now to avoid further injuries. Making adjustments and finding what works in the "old" coop can help you know what will work in the new one.

As time goes by, I think all of us see something that needs to be fixed, changed or tweaked.

I'll get photos tomorrow morning! I did make a ramp for them right now that they can use before we build our new coop. Is there anything else I can do for her, besides isolating her and limiting her activity?

Limiting activity is usually best or at least keep her from jumping up/down from the roosts. You may need to cage her at night.
A lot depends on how badly sprained/injured they are. I've had some that limited their activity during the day and were smart enough sleep on the floor or in a nesting box until they were able to navigate to roosts again. Even then it was a few weeks before they were back to being "better".
Some will try to roost no matter what, so you have to limit them.

Okay here are the pics. I’m limiting and keeping close watch on their activity right now and will update if/when I see improvements-View attachment 3736328
Yes, that looks pretty steep, even the ramp is steep.
Not sure how many birds you have, but I'd try to reduce the angle or even remove the top 2 roosts and just put another on the side wall where they ramp is. Have them all at the lower level.

Back
Top Bottom