More Muscovy Ducks but only one is for me...

Quote:
you are really in to that mexican food at you,
smile.png
sounds yummy
wink.png

Well I should be, I am a little Mexican!
lol.png
They're Latin ducks and I like to name critters from their country of origin, or the general vicinity. When I got the boys as ducklings I named the blue one Ignacio. The traditional nickname for that is Nacho. (Nachos were invented by a chef named Ignacio) The chocolate one I named Shakira but sadly he decided he was a he. So I went with the food theme.

Quote:
you are really in to that mexican food at you,
smile.png
sounds yummy
wink.png

Well I should be, I am a little Mexican!
lol.png
They're Latin ducks and I like to name critters from their country of origin, or the general vicinity. When I got the boys as ducklings I named the blue one Ignacio. The traditional nickname for that is Nacho. (Nachos were invented by a chef named Ignacio) The chocolate one I named Shakira but sadly he decided he was a he. So I went with the food theme.

does that mean they are destined for the table?

No, I don't plan on eating any of these. I have toyed with the idea of raising some of their ducklings for meat but I wouldn't be doing any butchering myself. I don't have the stomach for that. When I was little we had a small farm. Some animals were for pets/breeding and some were for eating. If you want to be able to do it, you have to tell yourself from the beginning that you aren't going to keep these. I've grown fond of these ducks and they have names. The only way any of them would wind up on the table is if the drake went crazy and was terrorizing my kids, which I don't see happening. But if you're going to breed, and I haven't decided if I will or not, you have to be prepared to deal with any offspring that you can't sell. To me that means either letting someone else eat them or eating them yourself. There just aren't enough "pet homes" for all of them, especially the drakes.

Quote:
I agree, I want to try to do this next year, well not me but dh, he is not real fond of butchering but will do it, He said DONOT name them. so we'll see.

They're gone! On to their new home. Now my kids can relax without being jumped by a cantankerous drake. I decided to put the new hen in with my flock tonight. I didn't want to leave her lonely. They hadn't put themselves to bed so I just got her out and let her run to them. She followed them happily into the duck house for the night.

Back
Top Bottom