More of my chickens are getting sick! Help appreciated GREATLY

MikasGirl

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Coos Bay, OR
Last week I posted about two of my girls getting sick:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=386534
It seems like the two of them are doing fine (knock on wood) but tonight I went to check on the girls and noticed that our Hamburg, Fawn, had bubbles on her eyes. She was acting perfectly fine and the only thing that worries me is the bubbles. My dad said that earlier when he went out to put away the chickens, she was running around, acting like she usually does. I have no idea what is wrong with my flock. We got a rooster about 2 months ago and I was the one who wanted him and I feel like it is my fault. He is fine, no symptoms of anything but I can't help feeling like I am killing our flock. (There haven't been any deaths, knock on wood....) Please help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Sometime a chicken will just get sick, and there isn't a thing you can do to prevent it. What you can do is give them the best treatment that you can. You also have joined the best group of people that can help you determine what is the best treatment for your chickens.

All a person can do is to try to do the best you can. Sooner or later we all loose some of our birds. Birds are rather fragile, and there are many things that can go wrong. It hurts to loose a bird, but it is part of owning chickens. The fact that you have had no losses yet is a testament how well you care for your chickens.

I ended up with some sick birds from a swap. they seemed fine when I bought them, within 1 day of getting them home, one rooster had bubbles in one eye....and 2 more were "glassy eyed"........I tried treating only the eyes with terramycin and didn't have much improvement.

I bought LA200 injectible. Gave 1/2 cc in the breast muscle. I've gotten differing instructions on dosages. I did 1/2cc in the breast, 1 shot a day for a couple days in a row. One website said you can give a shot and it lasts 3 days....another said to give 2 shots a day.

all the "sick" birds were fine within a week. HUGE improvement. They were at the "hunched up and not eating" phase as well. I also had a salmon favorelle hen I got at the same swap....she must have picked up whatever it was travelling home. She was in bad shape, I treated with LA200 injections for a few days, she is now fine and dandy. I did 1/4 cc in the bantams, 1/2 cc in the "regular" sized birds.

Just an idea.

[eta: one bird was thin so I did the shot in the upper leg muscle instead of the breast. bad idea, that poor bird was lame as can be for days afterwards......]

Last edited:
We all need to remember that it is very wise to quarantine new birds away from your existing flock for up to 30 days. That way if the new bird is sick it won't infect all your established flock.

That is definitely a good idea. In some cases I quarantine longer if I am not certain of the bird's health. Fortunately, the sick birds from the swap that I got went into quarantine and so none of my regular birds got sick. However, it is difficult with some birds who appear healthy but are apparently carriers......you can quarantine for ages and have what appears to be a healthy bird....and be introducing a typhoid mary into your flock unknowingly.

I ended up culling all of the swap birds (except the salmon fav) as I did not want to introduct whatever it was into my own flock. But for someone with a closed "pet" flock, treat them as needed and get them healthy.

I plan on closing my flock once I get down to a reasonable number. Too many ways to introduce illness in.

I actually did quarantine our rooster. He showed no symptoms or signs of illness so my only thought could be that he is possibly a carrier. I don't see how I would have known that, but I did quarantine him.

This morning when I let out the chickens, I checked Fawn to see how she was. The bubbles were much smaller (in the corner of her eye) but they were still there. ALL of the birds are on Duramycin. Thank you for the responses, I really appreciate it.
smile.png

Oh I forgot to mention that Fawn was running around, being a crazy chicken just like she always does.

Last edited:
I wiash you all the luck an d success in treating your birds.I recently had a simular prob.that spread and killed several birds and got most if not all my birds sick.I'd like for you to check the post out.Its in the disease forum BEWARE! Infectious coryza.loss of voice,etc.BY mikelewis.Tell me what you think. Thanks,chickendummy

I wiash you all the luck an d success in treating your birds.I recently had a simular prob.that spread and killed several birds and got most if not all my birds sick.I'd like for you to check the post out.Its in the disease forum BEWARE! Infectious coryza.loss of voice,etc.BY mikelewis.Tell me what you think. Thanks,chickendummy

Back
Top Bottom