more questions for building my own coop (from a n00b)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by manderzpants, Jun 23, 2010.

1. manderzpants

manderzpants Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    plymouth
    so i have little to none construction experience and i plan to attempt to build my own coop. what i don't have in experience, i will make up in stubbornness to complete my goal! [​IMG]

anyway, as far as securing hardware cloth in the coop, can i use a staple gun? or will predators tear right though that and i'll need to nail/screw the cloth to the frame???

thank you in advance!!! everyone here has been soooo helpful and i really appreciate that!!

2. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    i would use nails, the U shaped ones, in fact that is exactly what i used!

Remember measure twice cut once......!!!!!

3. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    I wouldn't use staple gun staples, they won't hold well. At a minimum use poultry staples that you drive in with a hammer, or screws with washers (best method/most expensive). I used ALOT of poultry staples on mine. I actually got a piece of hardware cloth crooked and had to take it back off.....it was h*ll getting them suckers out!!! Tou can buy poultry staples at most hardware stores and they are fairly cheap, probably cheaper that gun staples.

Good luck on your build!!

WV Hillbilly

4. Hugerat

Hugerat Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    You could also use a strip of wood/lathe and screw it in.

5. manderzpants

manderzpants Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    plymouth
    thank you everyone for your advice! the u shaped nails sound like a good idea, and i think i will use those to secure the hardware cloth. i have begun drawing out my plans w/ step by step instructions and drawings so i will minimize error when i finally put it up. [​IMG]

6. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i used a staple gun on my guinea pigs house (they only go in it for the day time so it didn't have to make it very predator proof) and after a few weeks the staples started falling out on their own

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I use screws and bottle caps to hold my wire down! Someone here on BYC showed how he used bottle caps instead of washers and it's great. Not only are they basically free but they hold a lot better than washers and are easier to put in than staples if you use self tapping screws. My husband loves it when I say, "Drink more beer honey, I need to build another chicken tractor!"

The only downside is you need to pop a hole in each cap with a nail, but it's not hard, just time consuming if you're using a lot all at once.

It's also really decorative if you use a variety of bottle caps.

8. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    We used a staple gun and then hammered in the staples... I myself tried to pull it off and where I could, I stapled some more%2Pr

9. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Quote:Do you use the bottle caps with the flat part laying against the wood, silver inside part exposed?

10. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:could u take a picture and post it so we know what it looks like too thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by