More than 1 rooster?

Chickenfeet

Songster
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
Cleveland, Ga.
I have been reading this site for some time. I see several people are able to keep more then 1 roo with their hens. I currently have 11 hens and 1 roo. I have a group of 8 hens (2 months) and a group of 7 more hens ( 1 month) that I will be taking to the coop,now living in pens in my basement..(did I mention I have 18 eggs in the bator due on Thursday, I can't wait) My leghorn roo attacks any other roo that enters the yard, young or old. Is there a secret to it? I should have plenty of hens to go around!!!!!!!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated.
barnie.gif
hu.gif

Wish I could help.

At present I have 1 roo who hasn't started crowing yet and is subordinate to all but 3 of the hens.... and he only tries to do the dance with one of the hens.

I have EIGHT! (of the 12 that hatched) 1 month old roos that I will put in the coop when they are 11 or 12 weeks old. Once they are big enough, most will be moving to the freezer.

I'm hoping that one of those 8 little roos is a beautiful Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and that's the one I'll keep and then, I'll have two roos... we'll have to see how it works out.

Chick, I suppose it does happen, but I have never seen a mature cock attack a juvinile without being sassed first. Now, if the cockeral is making moves on his hens, that`s different. As far as the cock is concerned, they should be safe. What I would be warrey of is the older girls as they will be hot after any youngster invading their space. Don`t you think one month is a little young to be without heat? Their lungs are located close to their backs and if the backs are not feathered, they are to young.

Quote:
I would never put them in the coop at 1 month. They are under the heat lamp and are thriving. I was just saying that I will( in the near future) have more hens then my roo can handle. How do you introduce a 2nd rooster without blood shed. They have a very large pen and coop, plenty of room.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom