more vulnerable with unclipped wings?

anthrochick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
North Carolina
My chicks are only a couple of weeks old right now but thinking ahead: if I clip their wings would they be less able to escape if by some chance my dogs go after them? I am planning on working with the dogs, but one especially will be a challenge. The chickens' coop will be surrounded by a dog kennel with a cover on it. I would like to let them out to free range a bit in the backyard, which is surrounded by a 6 foot privacy fence (when the dogs are inside the house). I am thinking I need to clip their wings... but I worry that that could make them MORE vulnerable in any chance encounters with the dogs. Advice?

You'll have to weigh the pros and cons of both choices. Personally, I think they're more vulnerable if you clip their wings. But since you're apparently in town, and you don't want them flying over your fence, you might have to. Or, you can make their run bigger, make sure it has a cover on it, leave their wings unclipped and keep them in there all the time.

You don't have to make the decision now you can clip their wings when they are older if they have a problem staying in the yard... otherwise leave the wings unclipped. Your gals may decide they like the backyard just fine and not bother with trying to leave it! Plus then if they have to flee from another predator at some point they have better odds in my opinion!

I wouldnt clip their wings..espically if you have dogs. no way... not a good idea..
My yard fence isnt very tall and only one or 2 has ever gotten over it... the others are happy to stay in the yard...

Back
Top Bottom