Mosquito problem in chicken coop

FabulousMandy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 16, 2008
New Orleans, LA
The other night when I was battling slugs I opened up my chicken coop to see if any were getting in there, and was horrified to see a cloud of mosquitoes fly out
hit.gif
. I'm now looking for a safe mosquito trap or some type of control device that can be safely used inside my coop, like maybe a time-release citronella spray or fogger that is safe for chickens that can be installed inside the coop. I saw something like that on a website a few weeks ago and now I can't find it, which is highly irritating. Any suggestions?

I'm just learning about chickens but know quite a bit about mosquitoes. This is just a thought and I might run it by chicken people before using it.

Permethrin used in sprays that are used on clothing (not on skin) to repel ticks and mosquitoes. It is actually an insecticide if I remember correctly and there are variations of it used on plants as well. You might try spraying that on the inside walls and allow it to dry. It can last 6 weeks on clothes even with washings so you probably good for that long before reapplying. I would probably only apply it with no chickens inside until it dries. Available under the brand Sawyer and others, available at Wal-Mart last I looked. Might not keep them all out but may be better than nothing.

BTW test show Citronella is pretty worthless. There are bug coils (camping section) and Therm-A-Cell which will keep them away but you have to keep them burning to keep repelling.

Good luck,
Jeff

Permethrin can be used on buildings and the chickens themselves for control of mosquitos. Make sure to follow instructions carefully.

Imp

Quote:
If you had a few ducks just a pair, and put up a small light close to the ground to attract mosquitos, by next day your ducks would be dragging their crops and barely moving from all mosquitos they ate.

It was hilarious to watch.

I am not sure if chicken will eat them as effectively but you may try.

Light is the key.

Over on sufficientself.com they have a thread running about mosquitoes. I guess a lot of them use a listerine spray. Yes, the mouthwash. Link is at the bottom of this page.

Quote:
I unfortunately have the absolute pickiest chickens on earth. They refuse to eat slugs, snails, earth worms, most green vegetables, (I could go on and on), and won't touch the mosquitoes because eating them would apparently cut in to their sleeping time
roll.png
. I watched them for about 15 minutes to see if they'd eat the nighttime mosquitoes, even with a light, and they wouldn't touch them. All they did was made angry noises at me for disturbing them lol.

Back
Top Bottom