Mosquitoes suck, literally and figuratively!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Henicillin, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    I hate winter, but right now I'd almost welcome a good, hard killing frost to do in the mosquitoes that have hatched since we were deluged by rain a few weeks ago. I'm usually not bothered by them (I don't react to the bites for more than a few minutes for some reason), but it's getting pretty old to go out to feed the chooks or what have you and have the bloodsucking hordes descend almost instantly like raiders on an unprotected village. Miserable little creeps. [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm with you, I swear mozzies were sent to earth to punish us.
    Bulbinella helps relieve the itch from the bites, if you get it where you are. Break of a leaf and smear the sap on the bite. Penny royal is a good, natural repellent.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I agree.

This is what I'm dealing with in Louisiana.

[​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    And here, mosquitoes are almost a fable. [​IMG]

I do remember Utah though. Ugh. We had trucks drive by at dawn all the time that sprayed the towns. Did no good, honestly - Just made the mosquitoes mad. It also was creepy and gross too because during the time they'd spray, you had to stay inside and close the windows. It was like your HOME was a crop being dusted.

5. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Quote:So, if you look at her really closely can you see her FAA registration number painted on the tail? That thing is a beast!

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:So, if you look at her really closely can you see her FAA registration number painted on the tail? That thing is a beast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone on our Louisiana thread said that this baby is an Asian Tiger Mosquito. These monsters actually have tiger stripes. I am deadly afraid of them when I go outside. [​IMG] They sting HARD! [​IMG]

This is a pic of one from online.
    [​IMG]

7. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone on our Louisiana thread said that this baby is an Asian Tiger Mosquito. These monsters actually have tiger stripes. I am deadly afraid of them when I go outside. [​IMG] They sting HARD! [​IMG]

This is a pic of one from online.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6612_800px-aedes_albopictus.jpg

[​IMG]

8. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Die skeeters die! I've heard that they are attracted to banana eaters, and repelled by garlic eaters. Haven't experimented, though. [​IMG]

9. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    chocolate m'scovy :

Die skeeters die! I've heard that they are attracted to banana eaters, and repelled by garlic eaters. Haven't experimented, though. [​IMG]

Kuntrygirl....you have intimidating bugs down there. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by