Mosquitos

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by team guava pastry, Aug 1, 2011.

1. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Went out tonight to check up on the girls, and it's hot here in Miami 90's with high humidity. The thing I just noticed was the Mosquitos that were around th girls.

What could I do to get rid of them. From around the chickens?

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Build them a Lani [​IMG] jk If covering the coop with insect screen is not an option then place a bug zapper out away from the coop to attract them away.

3. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Bug zappers are completely ineffective on mosquitoes as they are attracted to CO2. Premethrin 10% will protect your chickens against mites, fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. Just google "Premethrin 10% for poultry" and you'll get plenty of info on it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Don't forget to remove or treat any standing water that can serve as a breeding ground. Properly maintained spas & swimming pools & fountains that are running (circulating) do not allow development of larvae. Puddles, ponds, water bowls and green (not maintained) pools are problems.

5. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    Since they live in Miami I think draining the swamp is not an option. After watching the snake shows on tv I would think big snakes would be your problem.

6. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Ha the snake thing is funny one. I'm going to check my neighbors yard and mine for any standing water. Don't really want to give or treat my girls with anything

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by