Most beautiful feathers

JadeFarms

🙄🤚 Loving life 💜
May 3, 2019
Florida
I got this beautiful and unique feather today from my BR. She’s a poor quality barred rock because of her black feathers. I do like her very defined barring though. This feather I got is from her. @NatJ what do you think of this, is there any way I could breed more that have more feathers like this because I really like the color.
D54B2E60-3435-4D84-BD51-483BEBB2CFC4.jpeg
5B32BD37-F2AF-4393-8066-B64FD01AC2D7.jpeg

I got this beautiful and unique feather today from my BR. She’s a poor quality barred rock because of her black feathers. I do like her very defined barring though. This feather I got is from her. @NatJ what do you think of this, is there any way I could breed more that have more feathers like this because I really like the color.

She certainly is pretty!

If you bought her, you could try to buy some males from the same source and see if any have that trait--that would make it easier to breed more. Or if you bred her, try hatching more eggs from the same parents, and see if you can get an equally good rooster. Or cross her to her father to try for more of the same.

You could also contact people who breed Barred Rocks, show them the pictures of the chicken and her feather, and ask if they have any like that. Even if she is a "poor quality" Barred Rock, breeders might sometimes get birds like that, and might be willing to sell some to you.

If you can't get any male that is very good (for what you want), then just use any Barred Rock male you can get, because at least he will be closer than using a male of another breed.

Once you've gotten a male, cross her with him and hatch some chicks. Pick the son that is most like what you want, and breed him to her and also to the best of his sisters. Hatch lots of chicks and pick the ones that are closest to right.

You could also breed the best grandson back to her, and see if you get even better chicks from that crossing.

It's basically a matter of trying to produce birds with as many of her genes as possible, because you want more like her. You will eventually have troubles with inbreeding, but by then you probably will have learned enough about breeding in general and this color in particular that you will be able to cross with other birds to widen the genepool, and still retain the traits you want.

Idk where she’s from so I couldn’t do that. Maybe I can breed her to a few different Roos and see what I get.

Back
Top Bottom