Most effective NATURAL ANTIVIRAL treatments to try?

Thank you very much seminole, Farmer V and GaC - I appreciate all and will look into all...
It will be a great day when our feathered friends can be helped and cured in more ways...I believe it's possible, as with all beings.... It's just that not much effort heretofore has gone into helping chickens the way we all want to.....but that's starting to change
smile.png
JJ

I was really surprised to learn that colloidal silver came from hundreds of years back and caused the use of "silverware" to prevent illness. I'll have to do more reading on how it works since it's discovery.

Yeah, it's very interesting. I use it on myself and children when needed. I never thought to use it with animals.

Oh and you can make your own. Much more cost effective and not difficult. There are videos on YouTube or you can buy a kit on Amazon that has everything you need. One is $55 and one is $77.
Let us know what you think after you do your research.

The reality is that if health problems continue to occur, it is important to find what it is. Surrendering a sick bird for a necropsy so tests can determine the problem would be wise: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/labs_app.pdf

Since it is a suspected respiratory problem, it is important to understand the workings of the respiratory system of chickens: http://www.worldpoultry.net/Breeders/General/2009/11/Rising-pressure-from-air-sacculitis-WP006961W/

I understand where you're coming from Michael though this bird causing no sickness in others in a closed, tight knit, friendly, and small flock is not going to be killed just to find out what it is. If she were not for the most part enjoying her life, perhaps would be a different story. What will be done is continued efforts to bolster her along with continued search for better remedies....
JJ

JJ, I understand you and I understand what Michael I think is trying to say. Most chickens get a respiratory illness from other chickens and it spreads like crazy. That would be good advice to them.

But I, too, didn't know that you had a closed flock.. It makes a different picture. Last week I sent a dead beloved hen in for a necropsy and she had no respiratory symptoms but had a tumor in her lung and a mass growing in her heart. She was 6.

I have 2 right now that do the slow gasping when at rest and have dusky combs. When they are up, they are fine. I had one do this for 3 years, and died a few months ago. She was 7.

I am extra good to them and give them lots of treats and vitamins. And know their life was a happy one.

A bird can carry one of a number of viral respiratory diseases. Many of those viral diseases have a vaccine in existence to control them. Bronchitis, LT, CRD, Coryza, Newcastle are all respiratory viruses that require vaccines, and symptoms can be barely noticeable to very noticeable. Much depends on what is a common threat in your area, and local NPIP labs would be best to consult with since records are kept. Coryza is one that once in the yard, it doesn't leave. Some viral problems are brought into the flock from other birds, can be avoided by culling all carriers and doing a thorough disinfecting process and keeping certain species of wild birds known to be vectors for the virus out of the yard. That is what I meant by surrendering a bird for necropsy just to save potential problems that may be disastrous to a flock. I brought home some birds from a reputable breeder at a show once. Even after 30 day quarantine, Mycoplasma became a problem as it spread from bird to bird. Not knowing what I know now, it was a nightmare trying to treat symptoms. One would seem to recover, and another would begin showing symptoms. I'll never do that again.

I understand the motivation for a natural approach to a respiratory problem that may not be viral, but be bacterial. Where natural preventatives exist, and I believe some of the proven effective ones are valuable, and should be supplemented/maintained in diet, when the symptoms remain, you'll find yourself turning to antimicrobial drugs/antibiotics that are effective against specific bacteria. I am very firm about only using good quality organic feed, supplementing during breeding, moult, and other stressful conditions which require keeping the immune system strong. Even then, in the past when a bird is sick, I have often helped them overcome with medicinal treatment scientifically proven to be effective, and supplementing after treatment.

In regard to bacterial problems, I think adequate ventilation, clean drinking water, and preventing access to feeders and drinkers by wild birds are often necessary management practices that are not just necessary, but often overlooked by people new to raising chickens. Raising poultry is a continual process of learning for all of us. I genuinely care for my birds, and understand why others do. So I would prefer to help based upon my experiences rather than encouraging people to cull at the drop of a hat. I've said before that if every chicken were culled because it exhibited a symptom of CRD, there wouldn't be any left.

JJ, I understand you and I understand what Michael I think is trying to say. Most chickens get a respiratory illness from other chickens and it spreads like crazy. That would be good advice to them.

But I, too, didn't know that you had a closed flock.. It makes a different picture. Last week I sent a dead beloved hen in for a necropsy and she had no respiratory symptoms but had a tumor in her lung and a mass growing in her heart. She was 6.

I have 2 right now that do the slow gasping when at rest and have dusky combs. When they are up, they are fine. I had one do this for 3 years, and died a few months ago. She was 7.

I am extra good to them and give them lots of treats and vitamins. And know their life was a happy one.

I'm so sorry for the delay in my response. Lots of problems colliding at once. I am so very sorry about the recent passing of your beloved hen
hugs.gif
And about your other recent loss of the 7 year old hen. And hope for the best with your current 'slow gaspers'.... Your love for them and support of their immune systems has no doubt extended their lives.

The hen I wrote about is fine when sleeping and has the open mouth breathing and sneeze/cough sound upon exertion. The hens are under the superb guardianship of a friend. I no longer have the distinct pleasure of having chickens in my midst, ever since losing my beloved BJ, though I am given the gift of visiting with this friend's sweet birds. They have such a beautiful life with her.

JJ

Back
Top Bottom