Most Friendly Breed?

I second My brahmas are the most friendly. My most Chattery are my wyandottes...very friendly as well...Everyone will have their own opinions...my meanest roo's are hands down my silkies...my 10lb brahma rooster wont even bat an eyelash wrongly at me.

I think handling has a LOT to do with it. I find my Americaunas to be the most skiddish. I have a mutt that lets my daughter carry her everywhere. One of my friendliest is a Hamburg. My neighbor swears that Sussex are the nicest. My Polish rooster is a blast to be around. I think Black Sex Links have been the meanest I have seen. And my Wyandottes are the calmest. No idea, really. I think it's all been chance.

I have a bourbon red turkey hen that is the sweetest thing, and her sister is a biter - they grew up together, so I have no idea why one pecks my nose and the other makes silly noises when I collect eggs.

My OEGBs are naturally friendly with very little handling, even the roosters. I've never had an agressive OEGB rooster. I've also had some really friendly naked necks when I used to have naked necks. I used to have some Japanese Bantams that were friendly, too, although they came from a show breeder and had been handled a lot.

I don't think there are any guarantees. I had a super sweet Delaware hen, so I bought two more the next year and they weren't that friendly. This year a couple of my Black Australorps and a Barred Rock have been most likely to jump up on my lap for some attention. My Wyandottes have been really friendly, too, including the rooster. They will run to greet me, but they don't like to be petted that much. I also have a white crested Polish that follows me around and a white leghorn (of all things) that rubs against me like a cat. My Easter Eggers are most stand-offish. I was just commenting tonight that I don't think they love me much. Maybe that's why they are also the only breed not yet laying.

Back
Top Bottom