Most friendly chicken breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollychicken, Mar 27, 2012.

1. hollychicken

hollychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Smiths Falls , Canada
    Does anyone have an opinion on the most lovable and most friendly chicken breeds?[​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I have a lot of different chicken breeds (both LF and Bantam).
    By far the most friendly and demanding of attention are the d'Uccles!
    They have a "need" to be held at all times.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Well, all my chickens are friendly since I've handled them at birth. But my MOST friendlies are:

Easter Eggers
    Polish
    Light Brahama
    Orpintons

4. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Spitz, RedCap, Dominique, Welsummer, and Silkies.

The friendliest are the Spitz. They greet me at the gate, hop up on my knee when I'm sitting in the yard and they gather round to listen when I sing to them.

1 person likes this.
  5. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I have only had experience with Silkies. But my girls are very sweet and love to be held/cuddled.

1 person likes this.
  6. plumboy11

plumboy11 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    All mine are pretty friendy. I think about any hen can be made friendly if picked up and played up daily at a young age. I have 1 easter egger, and a barred plymouth rock that I raised since they were 1 day old. They come righ tto me and eat out of my hands. I got a few others that I didnt have when they were young and they are a big more stand-offish.

7. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Mine are extremely friendly. I have leghorns, rhode island red, and red&black stars.

8. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I have Barred rocks, white rocks, silver laced wyandottes, easter eggers. They are all relatively friendly but the BR and SLW come to me every chance they get they like to fly onto hands and arms and hangout on top of the brooder while we are sitting around watching them. They are funny sometimes i will have 3 hanging out across my arm and the other 3 will fly up and knock them down so they can hang out with me too.

9. GentlyLiving

GentlyLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    Good question! I am new to the chicken world... my babies are just a couple weeks old now, but I have noticed that my Barred Rocks are much happier to be picked up and handled than my EEs. Not a very large sample pool as I only have six chicks, but the BRs are noticeably calmer.

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Of the many breeds I have had, the Speckled Sussex stand out as being naturally friendly and inquisitive from the time they are chicks. Some of them have been among my favorite birds, even without any extra handling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by