Most friendly or favorite breed?

crayon

Songster
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Hillman Michigan
What do you think are the most friendly breeds? My BR pullets are super friendly and very curious. My SLW are nice, but not as friendly as my BR- however my SLW cockerel is AMAZING! I got some EEers one Roo and one Pullet and the pullet is neutral on temperment but the roo is spastic. I got some polish, RIR and Partridge Rocks- but they are all 1 week old right now. My RIRs seem very curious too. But still too small to tell!

What has your best breed been?

I have 2 BR's, 2 RIR , 1 BA, 1 NH Red and 1 Golden Commet.

The Commet is very skitish wont even eat from my hand. The RIR's are the first to come running when they see me however I think that my BR's are the most friendly and tame. They have always let me pick them up and jump on the hammock to sit with me. The others are all good but my BR's are the best!

I do also have a slikie frizzle, a EE, A brown Leghorn and a light brahma but they are all only a few weeks old. So I don't know how they will be when they get bigger.

Buff Orpingtons; mine are like puppies with the Barred Rocks a close second. The RIRs are so-so, not nearly as out-going as the BOs and BRs.

And yeah, most of my EEs are spastic.

Last edited:
So far my hatchery RIR(aka production reds) are my fav...they sit on my lap for petting etc...however, my son's fav is an ee that must see him as a 5'5" tall roost...as soon as she sees him she flies to his shoulder and roost there for a while as she cuddles to his neck!...I think it all depends on the bird because I have another ee that sees us and cries bloody murder every time we go near! lol

So far our Buff Orpingtons are the MOST like pets. They gather under our chairs & stay at our feet when we are out with them.
smile.png

We have two each of the Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Golden Laced Wyandottes and four Easter Eggers.
The BR's are sweet and gentle and one of them follows me everywhere.
Since the BA's have started laying they have become especially friendly.
The EE's are calm and gentle and love to be rubbed on their bellies!
The BO's are slowly coming around. They have always been curious but not especially friendly. I have read all of the wonderful comments about BO's so...hopefully when they start laying that will change.
As for the GLW, rather skittish and only interested in pecking you!

The BO's and GLW's both seem to be more worried about what everyone else is doing, humans included, instead of being friendly and social! I am guessing thats the pecking order still being established!

No matter what though, they all bring a smile to our face every day! Never thought I would say that "I love my chickens!"
thumbsup.gif

My Cochins have been the friendliest. I used to have a few Silkies that were sweethears too. My Orpingtons and EEs aren't very friendly, but I wasn't very hands on with them when they were chicks(they'll happily eat from your hand, but don't like to be touched or picked up). But my Cochins are, hands down, my new favorite breed!

Back
Top Bottom