Most humaine way to cull?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter where you are on the spectrum of chicken keeping, whether you have them as pure nameless livestock or indoor diaper-wearing pet chickens, you must consider YOUR personal answer to the question above. Because it's likely that at some point in your chicken-keeping years you will have to face this issue with at least one of your injured/ailing chickens.

Just as there is a wide spectrum represented among our BYC members in our purposes for keeping chickens, there is a wide range of choices to use for culling a chicken. Some will seem more appealing than others, in terms of cost, personal involvement, and sensitivity. I think it's a good idea to explore all the different options, and then make YOUR own decision for YOUR own chickens.

I don't see where the OP placed themself on the sensitivity spectrum, they seem to be asking a basic question. The cervical dislocation method described IS as humane as any. Some people use a stick held down with both feet, instead of one foot, to hold the head down, does that seem a kinder way to dispatch a feathered friend? It's the method I use with old layers that must be culled, it's easier for me than to give their loyal old necks a chop with an axe.

If you cannot bear culling your own birds by yourself, and cannot afford to have a veterinarian do it (I would love to find a local vet that will "do it for no cost" like so many people claim to have found) perhaps you could find a friend/relative you can trust to do it for you. Or even offer to trade the favor with another local chicken keeper, they cull any of yours and you cull any of theirs. Sometimes it's easier to do the job efficiently, thereby humanely, when you're not as emotionally attatched.

RoosterJerry, I'm sorry for your ailing hen, I hope you find a way to end her suffering that also works well for you.

YES...BUUUT, my point was simply that if someone is purposely posting they want HUMANE ways...to just be considerate enough to refrain from suggesting certain methods....

As in2chickens posted:
this is a back yard chicken site, most of us have these as our pets in the back yard. Not on the farm or the outback for massacure at your leisure. I was horrified when I read Cowboy's post.

Please just be respectful thats ALL- I don't want a fight. If you want to answer a post on how to cull meat birds- by all means...

But those of us that have PET chickens whom we love and are attatched...just be a little more considerate- thats all any of us ask. Its a tough enough subject as it is- I AM NOT CONDONING cowboy or othes who yank off their birds heads- but it CAN be a little too much for others. The fact that we are on here asking for help culling means we are willing to do it ourselves...but please, for...a little more 'sensatively put' would be nice please.

KIDS are also on this site, some are immune to culling some are NOT! please rememebr that also.
wink.png

NO WARS. I'm not tossing daggers. it is what it is. be gentle when discussing euthanasia. not eveyone wants to be told "just pull your birds head off!"​

Last edited:
Also...alot of us live in the city. we cant just ax our chickens in our backyards for all to see!!!

Now back to roosterjerry.....

I hope you have found a way to cull your bird. Sorry to have taken over your post as we have.
I am just finding all too often people jump into culling methods w/out asking about someones situation first, where they live, what they are copmfortable with. I hope you understand.

Sorry about your bird.

peace to you
e

Last edited:
Quote:
Humane... That means the nicest for the chicken, dont it? I'm givin the quickest ways I've found that the chicken will go, not ways that make YOU feel better but make the bird suffer for a long time before dyin. This may be a "backyard" chicken sight, but I've been around chickens and other critters since before I could walk. I know the quickest ways to do things, and if someone asks the best way to do somethin like this, I'll tell ya what I've found works best for me. I aint holdin a gun to your head and makin ya to do it, I'm just givin a suggestion... Lets put it this way, if you got to choose how you died, and ya got to choose between:

a) an injection directly in your heart to paralize it (aka a heart attack, I've heard that dont tickle)

b) CO2 poisonin (which sometimes makes 'em very sick, not always, but sometimes. It usually takes 'em a while to die that way anyway.)

OR

c) a quick, painless death by decapitation

Which would you prefer? I aint tryin to be a jerk, I'm just sick and tired of folks actin like I'm satan reincarnate for butcherin that way. No, it aint pretty, no it aint fun, but it's quick and painless for the bird, even if it aint for you. So get over it.

This is my last post then I am off this case.

please re-read what I wrote and try doing it w/out taking offense to it. i AM not being offensive but you are still being defensive.

just simply ASK someone what they feel comfortable with before getting graphic. Not all people find it easy to kill and you are labeling them as pansy chicken torturers just because they dont want to twist off their birds heads. I think I would have nightmares if I did that to a pet.

This isnt worth my time anymore.

I am logging out before i get locked or banned.

have a good night all.

Last edited:
Truthfully, in my opinion, the most humane way to slaughter a bird is by cervical dislocation. When I processed my roosters this way, they were calm up to the moment of death, and it took only took a fraction of a second to complete. The way I did it, they didn't even know what hit them until after they were dead.

I had my husband hold the head, and I took the feet. He pulled up while I pulled down. Yes, this method did lead to the occasional decapitation, however, that is not an essential part of the procedure. Once you feel their neck *pop*, the job is done, and they are gone. No pain, no mess.

The only thing in Ugly Cowboy's post (same procedure, by the way) which anyone should have taken offense at, was possibly the way he worded it. (Just pull their heads off). This is actually only one of two ways approved by the AMA to dispatch research animals. The other is CO2 poisoning, and the many times I've seen an animal die of Co2 poisoning, they always appear to be in agony before they lose consiousness.

..research animals are tortured their whole lives. why would the AMA care how they are disposed of....

just saying......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom