Most humaine way to cull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roosterjerry

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Rineyville,KY
Just wondering I have a hen that does not look so good I have tried a few things but nothing seems to help I think I may need to put her down she looks like she is in pain.

Several different opinions here. Do a search in the meat birds section. Or just get out your gun or sharpen your ax.

Sorry!

Step on her neck and pull up on her feet hard, either that or just cut her head off (ax)... My job ever since I was a little boy was butcherin, I've tried a lot of differant methods since then, and I've found those to be the easiest for me and quickest and least painful for the bigger birds (and even big rabbits). The smaller birds, just grab there body (around there "shoulders") in one hand, there head in the other and just pull there heads off. They dont know what hit 'em if done right, kills 'em instantly.

My mom suggested dry ice. Put chicken in a container that will seal (like a 5 gal. bucket) and add a piece of dry ice (maybe wrap it in a cloth so she won't step on it & burn her feet). The CO2 replaces the oxygen and they just fall asleep (die) peacefully.

To Uglycowboy and others....

please remember not everyone is as acustomed to culling as you.

Read the title, if it states its looking for the MOST HUMANE way to cull please be considerate and recommend something other than stepping on its head or twisting its head off or axing.

Jeez! have a little compassion for those more sensative to culling.

e
hmm.png

Contact your local avian vet. They have humane ways to euthanize a sick bird. Ask specifically if sedation is used prior to euthanasia.

I do euthanasia for a living. Having a vet doing it may be more costly, but it is the most humane way.

Sorry for your loss,

Christi

Quote:
This is what I did. I didn't know the head was going to come OFF. I swear to god I scared myself and grossed myself out to the point that I'm afraid to ever try just breaking a neck. Next time? The Hubby can do it. Yech. (was definitely easy on the chick though)

Thank you allmypeeps! Ugly Cowboy, this is a back yard chicken site, most of us have these as our pets in the back yard. Not on the farm or the outback for massacure at your leisure. I was horrified when I read Cowboy's post.

Quote:
The most humane way is not necessarily the most sensitive. I have had animals put to sleep, including small animals. Frankly, heart stick euthanasia is a hell of a lot LESS humane than decapitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom