1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Most humane way to kill 8 year old hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbkinor, May 31, 2009.

1. jbkinor

jbkinor Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2007
    Western Oregon
    What is the most humane way to put down a chicken (please don't say chop off head, can't do it). Our 8 year old is so slow and crippled that she attracks lice/mites to herself and I don't want them spreading to the other 2 aldult birds or the 2 seven week olds that will soon be going into that chicken yard. Or could we could just dust her every other week????

1 person likes this.
  2. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    I would try dusting her with sevin dust everyother week. If she is the crippled, you may just want to do the humane thing and release her from her suffering. Yes, chop off her head. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. island.girlie

island.girlie Chillin' With My Peeps

A quick and hard blow to the head will knock her out instantly. She won't feel a thing. Sounds like she's had a good long life. I don't know many 8 year old chickens that's for sure. Good luck with your girl [​IMG]

4. NaturalChick

NaturalChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Colorado
    So sorry.
    Do you have a local vet or or other facility that might put her to sleep?

5. jbkinor

jbkinor Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Someone said just put her in large plastic bag and she will go to sleep and suffocate. More or less humane than other suggestions? Vet put to sleep would be good but pretty sure spouse would not want to pay for it. If a vet around here would do it. Whenever I've called to ask about chicken injury/illness they say "dinner".

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    If it were me I would say quick and painless, which means a bullet or a hatchet. If you cant do it maybe you know someone who could do the deed for you. I grew up with a love of animals but when they cant function anymore its not cruel to do it, its respecting their life.

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Absolutely, bullet or hatchet, all this suffocating, gassing stuff is terrible inhumane and downward cowardish.

If you can't chop heads off, ask somebody who will.

8. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    How "crippled"? And for how long? Is she in pain? Or is it just a matter of dusting her or separating her from the others?

She's probably going to die soon anyway. Why not just let nature take it's course? She's lived this long, let the old girl go when she's ready.

9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    My DH does the "deed" for me because I am to much of a girl!! He uses a bullet. It is over in an instant. I am sorry you have to make this decision. It is always a tough choice. [​IMG] Best wishes with whatever you decide.

10. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    I took one of my chickens to the vet, chicken has a twisted beak. The vet said that he is a very healthy at this time There is really nothing that can be done for the chicken except to keep his top beak trimmed. The vet told me that if I didn't want to bring Forrest in to be put down (if he loses weight or failure to thrive) then the next most humane way to kill a chicken is snapping/twisting the neck. I would first try dusting the bird, then cull if necessary. Theresa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by