Most Panicked Morning in a long time

AMSpsg18

Songster
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
Somersworth NH
So As usual before work I head out to the coop to check on my girls feed and water them, and leave a little snack for them. Well as I was counting my now 5 weeks old girls I notice I'm 2 short....Oh NO! I start searching and panicing. I shout into the house for help and now everyone is looking for them. Finally some decides to move their little safety zone (From the big girls) which is a large dog crate and see the 2 of them just chilling cuddled up next to each other and looking up at me as if to say, "sheesh mom chill out." I scooped them and got a little teary.... they are my babies I couldn't help it. I took a couple breathes and went to work a little more frazzled the usual.
tongue.png

What a scare! I admit I count little feathery heads more than once in the morning. They move too fast for me to keep track of them!

ah yes...sometimes I swear mine will be the death of me...coronary city.
th.gif
Glad everyone is there, safe and happy chilling.

You need more chickens. You need to get up there to where you can't count them all. Life is so less stressful for me now.
tongue.png

If hubby or anyone objects just tell them your enabler.... er... I said so!

I hear you.......one time I became quite stressed when I couldn't find one of my delawares after calling, counting, searching only to find she was following so close behind me I just couldn't see her. Oh boy, did I feel silly....but all were finally accounted for.

OMGosh! I can so fully empathize! Helen, one of my newest chicks, gave me one heck of a shake up last weekend. I went out first thing in the morning to the brooder, just like I always do, only to discover that Helen was missing!!! The brooder is nothing more than a large black plastic tub with a heat lamp shining above it, food and water dishes and a few towels draped over it to keep it just the right temperature. Three little week and a half old chicks don't really need much more than that you know.
wink.png

I had left a gap between the towels to let a little more heat out and start getting these babies accustomed to cooler temperatures, the night before. Sometime during the night, Helen decided to go "Walkabout" on me. I have NO idea how long she was out of the brooder, but she sure seemed happy to see me the next morning when I found her in the bucket of clean shavings that I keep next to the brooder!
lol.png

As near as I can tell, she climbed up on top of the thermometer thingy, and from there must have jumped up onto the towel that is draped across one half of the brooder tub and held in place with clothes pins. From there it was just a hop, skip and a jump into the bucket of shavings.
roll.png
Silly little chick! Liked to give me a heart attack!
th.gif

Quote:
Oh my Gosh my Gladys did that when we first had the chicks I went out to check on them and She was under the table squawking like crazy. She's kinda my problem child a dog tried to consume her once not a scratch but a bit damp lol

Back
Top Bottom