Mother duck left her nest!

I have had chicks hatch like this before and the seem to do fine.I left them in the incubator where its kind of dark so they would rest and not move around to much.
Ducklings! So cute,pics please?:love

I have had chicks hatch like this before and the seem to do fine.I left them in the incubator where its kind of dark so they would rest and not move around to much.
Ducklings! So cute,pics please?:love
They stayed in the incubator for about 12 hours to rest. The prolapse seems to be shrinking a little bit - I hope it continues!

Attachments

• 43BD6C7B-B085-456F-8D85-F97CB68D3F2A.jpeg
    43BD6C7B-B085-456F-8D85-F97CB68D3F2A.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 8
Unfortunately the one that has the umbilical hernia/prolapse died during the night. . The other one is alone now and very attached to me. What’s the best way to raise a single duckling?? It’s late in the season so I can’t just get another one. Lol

:hugsSo sorry you lost one. I've raised single chicks,can't be much different than ducks. Just be the "Mamma". They will always be close to you. Most of mine had a certain peep that would let me know they needed something or just wanted to cuddle.It just sounds different than the normal peeping. Getting them used to other chickens was slow but they get their. Looks like you have a house duck for a while.

You could try hanging a large pompom in your duckling's brooder. You'll one big enough to snuggle under, so you'll need a fairly big one. I used one made to hang on a kid's backpack - about 5-6 inches across. I gave it to our lone Silkie chick a few years ago. Herman was VERY attached to his Mompom, to the point where, once he was grown, he would carry it around the house with him. Yes, he was a house rooster for his first year. Like your little duckling, Herman was a late season hatch with complications, so he lived inside with us until Spring. It took him a VERY long time to figure out that he was a chicken, not a "people!"

Good idea with the Pom Pom! Right now she(?) has a dog toy teddy bear with a towel she enjoys sleeping and climbing on. I put her in a laundry basket so she can go around the house with me sometimes. We named her Riley. I keep calling it a her - for all I know I may have a drake!

Good idea with the Pom Pom! Right now she(?) has a dog toy teddy bear with a towel she enjoys sleeping and climbing on. I put her in a laundry basket so she can go around the house with me sometimes. We named her Riley. I keep calling it a her - for all I know I may have a drake!
That's okay - Riley works for a boy, too!
I tried a rolled up towel with Herman, too. He liked it, but his little claws kept getting caught, so we went to the Mompom. I guess that's one advantage of having a duckling, instead ... now needle-spike claws!

Back
Top Bottom