Mother Ducking

I'd not recommend trying to give him to the duck hen. If she's not longer consistently sitting she isn't going to accept him. She'll view him as an intruder and even supervised, one swift whack or peck will kill him in an instant. I've literally stood back a couple feet away to do supervised introductions and had a very broody chicken hen kill a chick in a fraction of a second before I could stop her.
I'd either raise it yourself or get it a young chick or ducklings friend. I've raised lots of single ducklings and it's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. As long as you give them some attention and get them out for interaction a couple times a day they do just fine. They'll be upset the first day or two but after they get over it they are good. Especially if you give them a mirror or toy to cuddle. I do a feather duster with mine suspended from the box to where it was just touching the ground.

I was able to pick up 2 similar age ducklings from another BYC"er. These 3 became fast friends and they all LOVE the mirror. 😉
20230623_190535.jpg

Back
Top Bottom