Mother Earth News - New chicken movement

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DIMBY, Oct 14, 2009.

1. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, I have been following MEN's articles on keeping chickens for a couple of years now.
    GRIT magazine has also joined the backyard chickens movement. If you go to their website, you can register to win a free coop. It's www.GRIT.com

I think the contest is still going on.

3. MistyValley

MistyValley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Patterson MO
    An earlier article that ME did prompted me to get my chickens. It's great that they continue to promote our girls.

4. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Okay, so my parents every year ask for Christmas lists from the hubby and I (even though we're both in our 30s).

I'm planning to ask for a subscription to Mother Earth News (had to type that out as "a subscription to MEN" just makes me giggle too much).

But I'm digging this GRIT magazine too. Where can I buy a copy so I can get a subscription card for her?

5. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I am glad to see the movement but I feel the name "grass-fed chickens" could be misleading to the uninformed. I guess similar to the whole "our chickens are fed an all vegetarian diet" that some producers advertise. I love educating friends and family about what chickens eat and that all the bugs, frogs, snakes, grass, weeds, fruits and vegitables are what make our hens eggs better. [​IMG] Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to bash the movement, I think we need more backyard chickens and we love Mother Earth news!
    OOPs didn't realize I was on my wife's BYC account. [​IMG]
    Farmer Brown

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'll send you a card from the GRIT magazine if you want. Some of the grocery stores that have a wide magazine selection sell it. The new issue came out today, with my letter to the editor (about chickens). [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    DH referred to MEN as that "weird hippie vegan magazine" until I showed him an article on processing chickens. It was also an article in MEN that convinced him to get a pellet stove.

8. AmyRey

Jun 25, 2009
    Quote:If anyone around here has it, it'll probably be our local TSC. I haven't seen it there before, but I really haven't looked for it either. I've got to go by there today or tomorrow, so I'll take a look.

9. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    You can subscribe on their web site for only $10 (last time I checked) I think you have to pay with a credit card?

10. AmyRey

Jun 25, 2009
    Quote:Yeah I know, but my folks don't do internet purchases. Period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by