Mother Earth News - New chicken movement

Yes, I have been following MEN's articles on keeping chickens for a couple of years now.
GRIT magazine has also joined the backyard chickens movement. If you go to their website, you can register to win a free coop. It's www.GRIT.com

I think the contest is still going on.

Okay, so my parents every year ask for Christmas lists from the hubby and I (even though we're both in our 30s).

I'm planning to ask for a subscription to Mother Earth News (had to type that out as "a subscription to MEN" just makes me giggle too much).

But I'm digging this GRIT magazine too. Where can I buy a copy so I can get a subscription card for her?

I am glad to see the movement but I feel the name "grass-fed chickens" could be misleading to the uninformed. I guess similar to the whole "our chickens are fed an all vegetarian diet" that some producers advertise. I love educating friends and family about what chickens eat and that all the bugs, frogs, snakes, grass, weeds, fruits and vegitables are what make our hens eggs better.
big_smile.png
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to bash the movement, I think we need more backyard chickens and we love Mother Earth news!
OOPs didn't realize I was on my wife's BYC account.
idunno.gif

Farmer Brown

Last edited:
Quote:
I'll send you a card from the GRIT magazine if you want. Some of the grocery stores that have a wide magazine selection sell it. The new issue came out today, with my letter to the editor (about chickens).
tongue.png

Last edited:
DH referred to MEN as that "weird hippie vegan magazine" until I showed him an article on processing chickens. It was also an article in MEN that convinced him to get a pellet stove.

Quote:
If anyone around here has it, it'll probably be our local TSC. I haven't seen it there before, but I really haven't looked for it either. I've got to go by there today or tomorrow, so I'll take a look.

Back
Top Bottom