mother hen behaviour

chookhead

Songster
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
can anyone plz specify how a mother hen behaves because my mother hen is currently behaving like a broody that has gotten up for her daily break but calls the chicks to the food and clucks and they follow but she sits on the ground randomly and scratches around with her beak and clucks is this normal sorry for the dumb question buts its my first time with a broody and its an isa which i found weird
big_smile.png

Depends on the age of the chicks - if they're very young, she has to go slow with them, and give them lots of chances to go under her for warmth. That 'broody' cluck is also the mother hen cluck. If she's attentive and sweet with her chicks, don't worry, she'll do her job as she sees fit. Hens usually do a great job. The only problem is if they're hen-raised, they're a bit more wild than hand-raised. I kinda like mine hand-raised, then they're so tame and easily handled. But I also like the hen to do the work!
hmm.png

Yes it is normal, for mom and chicks to sit around for the first few days. Mom has to get her strenght back up from hardly eating or moving for 21 days, and the babies sleep alot for the first week.

Back
Top Bottom