Mother hen hatching chicks.

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
I’ve got a weird situation here. I set eggs under a broody hen on July 26 2022 and today is three weeks when they all should’ve hatched. Instead one hatched at two weeks and the others hatched a few days after. I went in the coop today and saw that a check and pipped the egg. Since she’s been taking care of the four chicks she hasn’t been sitting on the eggs a lot and I can hear the chick calling from the egg. She has been sitting on the eggs a little bit but seems to be ignoring the chick in the egg. Should I assist hatch or should I let nature run its course. She has four chicks that have hatched

As for the eggs hatching on different dates, the chicks could have began forming prior to the hen setting on them if you some how missed them in the nesting box or the source you got them from gave you different dated eggs. I have hatched out many chicks in the incubator and that unexpected hatch has happened to me several times. If you have a brooder you could put the chicks in there while the others are hatching then reintroduce them to momma afterwards. If not you could put the remaining eggs in an incubator again, if you have access to one. Also, I have successfully assisted hatches many times in dire situations, I just picked off a small portion of the egg, no more than 1/3 of the shell, and then pray the chick musters up the energy to roll out. It helps for them to have an open flat area to get out of the egg.

As for the eggs hatching on different dates, the chicks could have began forming prior to the hen setting on them if you some how missed them in the nesting box or the source you got them from gave you different dated eggs. I have hatched out many chicks in the incubator and that unexpected hatch has happened to me several times. If you have a brooder you could put the chicks in there while the others are hatching then reintroduce them to momma afterwards. If not you could put the remaining eggs in an incubator again, if you have access to one. Also, I have successfully assisted hatches many times in dire situations, I just picked off a small portion of the egg, no more than 1/3 of the shell, and then pray the chick musters up the energy to roll out. It helps for them to have an open flat area to get out of the
The chicks have been with her for at Least 5 days. Will she reaccept them if I put them in the brooder for a day or two. I would like a few more chicks to hatch. She does not attack me when I pick the chicks up so I think it would be fairly easy

As for the eggs hatching on different dates, the chicks could have began forming prior to the hen setting on them if you some how missed them in the nesting box or the source you got them from gave you different dated eggs. I have hatched out many chicks in the incubator and that unexpected hatch has happened to me several times. If you have a brooder you could put the chicks in there while the others are hatching then reintroduce them to momma afterwards. If not you could put the remaining eggs in an incubator again, if you have access to one. Also, I have successfully assisted hatches many times in dire situations, I just picked off a small portion of the egg, no more than 1/3 of the shell, and then pray the chick musters up the energy to roll out. It helps for them to have an open flat area to get out of the egg.
The chicks have been with her for at Least 5 days. Will she reaccept them if I put them in the brooder for a day or two. I would like a few more chicks to hatch. She does not attack me when I pick the chicks up so I think it would be fairly easy

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy and away from my laptop. I believe she should reaccept them however hens can do some unexpected things sometimes. I'm sure you've made a decision by now though, so how are they doing?

Ended up just leaving them and she hatched seven out successfully and the oldest is two weeks and the youngest is around 6 days. All are doing well and she takes them outside regularly

Ended up just leaving them and she hatched seven out successfully and the oldest is two weeks and the youngest is around 6 days. All are doing well and she takes them outside regularly
That's awesome! I'm so glad to hear that they're all healthy and have a wonderful momma to take care of them :) I love it when nature is gentle in these situations and it all works out.

Back
Top Bottom