Mother hen pecking and pulling chick

Mellyb77

Hatching
May 25, 2020
Hi, we had a PEKIN go broody, she is only 9 months old and we purchased 6 eggs but only one hatched. She has been really good with her chick until yesterday (9 days old) The mom and chick are separate from my other 3 hens but have had them out in a run one the grass whilst the weather has been so nice. But for 2 days it was really windy so kept them in I then Shut off the coop yesterday to my 3 and put mother hen and chicken in main coop as the area she is in is quite small and thought they could do with a bit of space. The mother started pecking the baby on the side whenever it was out and if it was feeding or drinking, I kept an eye on them but it continued so I decided to put the back into their own place again to see if it stopped. This morning mother hen was still doing it and I am worried for its safety, is this normal behaviour or should I take the chick away. I don’t know if this is relevant but mother hen can’t get around too easily as damaged her leg during an encounter with the neighbours greyhound when she was just 4 months old!. The sun is shining again today so planning to put them both outside again. Any advice greatly received - all my chickens are very tame and have been hands in throughput sitting and hatching and never goes for us!

Doesn’t seem to be overly bothered just runs out of the way but does tweet every time. Mother hen is quite a lonely chicken as the only Pekin so much smaller than the other chickens we have and with her injured leg makes her slower! She doesn’t seem
Happy if she can’t see her chick for a split second when moving them!

I have taken the decision to move the chick away from mom hen as couldn’t cope with seeing her being pecked at! Mommy hen is distressed though as can’t find chick, is there anything I can do to help her get over it or any advice on how long she will pine for. Chick seems happy though on her own!

I have taken the decision to move the chick away from mom hen as couldn’t cope with seeing her being pecked at! Mommy hen is distressed though as can’t find chick, is there anything I can do to help her get over it or any advice on how long she will pine for. Chick seems happy though on her own!
You could try putting the chick back with he for a couple minutes per day so that the mom can see the chick and so you could see if she is getting better not pecking the chick. The mom shouldn't be sad for too long.

Just my humble opinion, but unless you see physical damage I think you should let them be. I've also observed this behavior in one of my hens and her chick. The chick is just fine.

The chick stayed in the house with me last night. When I saw The 2 posts this morning I thought I would bring the mom hen into the chick. Pecked at her once but not too bad, chick been back under her too! Will see how they go as feel so much for mom hen as she is quite a loner and my heart breaks for her. I was so happy when she went broody as thought she would get her own flock but then only one hatching and all these problems! 😢 Thank you and will see how it goes. They are both in the kitchen now so at least I can keep an eye on them!

Back
Top Bottom