1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mother hen with diarhea and no color in comb or feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luckylefty, Apr 2, 2012.

1. luckylefty

luckylefty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    I have a mother hen who has just had her chicks hatching yesterday and today. She has been healthy up until this point, as far as I can tell. She started to have extra smelly poop a few days ago, but nothing out of the ordinary. Today, I found her sitting in a large amount of green diarrhea and with very little color to her comb, ear lobes, or feet.

I removed her from the coop to clean beneath her (to avoid the chicks spending too much time wallowing in it) and they all seem fine. As I was holding her while my sister performed clean-up duty, she had a projectile diarrhea episode that was very liquidy and green. It did have a small blob of white to it as well. About five minutes afterward, she dropped a smaller amount of very dark poop that was more solid, but still extremely wet and with a little bit of blood in it.

When I put her back in the coop, she quickly ran to cover her babies, and she ate a little food that I gave her, but she did not drink anything.

Any ideas on what could be wrong with her and what I should do to keep her healthy? This has never happened before, and she is my best mama hen. I really want to keep her alive!

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by