Mother hen with worms

Maisie01

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2021
North Florida
Hello I have a mother hen with her couple day old chicks, she seems to have worms they are long skinny spaghetti like worms. She is separated in the run with the babies so everyone else can get used to them as well. How would I go about treating her and with what ? I’d also like to treat my whole flock as well but I have ducks with them would it be safe to treat with the same thing ?

Hello I have a mother hen with her couple day old chicks, she seems to have worms they are long skinny spaghetti like worms. She is separated in the run with the babies so everyone else can get used to them as well. How would I go about treating her and with what ? I’d also like to treat my whole flock as well but I have ducks with them would it be safe to treat with the same thing ?
You can treat them liquid Safeguard goat wormer.

For chickens, the dose is 0.23 mls per pound of body weight once daily for 3-5 days then wait 10 days and again dose daily for 3-5 days. Example: hen weighs 5 pounds. Give her 1.15 mls of Safeguard directly to her beak a few drops at a time allowing her to swallow until she's taken it all. Shake bottle well before each dose and don't draw directly out of the bottle. I calculate how much I'll need for the 3-5 days of dosing for all the birds then pour that amount out of the bottle into a small Tupperware container and use that to draw from.

Ducks only get 0.07 mls per pound. You will have to dose all birds individually.

Liquid Safeguard is not water soluble and should not be added to water.

When I deworm my 26 birds, I get all their weights and write them down on a sheet of paper then calculate their dose and write that down next to their names. I make columns to check off as I retrieve each bird and give her/him the dose each night.

I've conditioned my flock to eat small pieces of bread so they will eat it when they see it instead of staring at it wondering what it is and if it's good to eat. They only get bread when I am giving them meds. I squirt the dose into a couple of tiny pieces of bread and feed that to them in a room adjacent to the coop then let them go back in the coop. You need to remove each bird from the flock, especially roosters, as the others will try to steal their bread and could get double dosed. The roosters try to give their treat away. Keep the chicks away from the dosing area.

For chickens, the dose is 0.23 mls per pound of body weight once daily for 3-5 days then wait 10 days and again dose daily for 3-5 days. Example: hen weighs 5 pounds. Give her 1.15 mls of Safeguard directly to her beak a few drops at a time allowing her to swallow until she's taken it all. Shake bottle well before each dose and don't draw directly out of the bottle. I calculate how much I'll need for the 3-5 days of dosing for all the birds then pour that amount out of the bottle into a small Tupperware container and use that to draw from.

Ducks only get 0.07 mls per pound. You will have to dose all birds individually.

When I deworm my 26 birds, I get all their weights and write them down on a sheet of paper then calculate their dose and write that down next to their names. I make columns to check off as I retrieve each bird and give her/him the dose each night.

I've conditioned my flock to eat small pieces of bread so they will eat it when they see it instead of staring at it wondering what it is and if it's good to eat. They only get bread when I am giving them meds. I squirt the dose into a couple of tiny pieces of bread and feed that to them in a room adjacent to the coop then let them go back in the coop. You need to remove each bird from the flock, especially roosters, as the others will try to steal their bread and could get double dosed. The roosters try to give their treat away. Keep the chicks away from the dosing area.
Thank you I will go get some! I only have the horse one so I will go get the goat bottle!

Thank you I will go get some! I only have the horse one so I will go get the goat bottle!

Is there an egg withdrawal period?

Back
Top Bottom