Mother Henning

rubberducky33

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2015
Hi everyone, currently I have two white layer ducks who are 6 weeks old. They are house ducklings and have just graduated from their heat lamp and are free to roam the house now (with diapers of course). Whenever my mother comes to visit she tells me I need to get rid of them because they're not house pets and it's cruel to keep them as pets. I've tried telling her that lots of people have ducks as pets but she refuses to listen. Any advice?
Thanks y'all and happy holidays!

Your house your rules. Simple as that. Let her know that you heard what she has to say and that while you appreciate her opinion, it is hers and not yours. If it is becoming a problem then maybe you should take a step back from visiting. Im going to guess this is not the only thing she feels she needs to have an opinion about in your life. If you are not an adult (under 18) and living with a parent then I would feel completely differently about the situation and ignore everything I just said :)

Hi everyone, currently I have two white layer ducks who are 6 weeks old. They are house ducklings and have just graduated from their heat lamp and are free to roam the house now (with diapers of course). Whenever my mother comes to visit she tells me I need to get rid of them because they're not house pets and it's cruel to keep them as pets. I've tried telling her that lots of people have ducks as pets but she refuses to listen. Any advice?
Thanks y'all and happy holidays!

We just went over the definition of pets in another post
gig.gif

It doesn't matter if they are ducks, gremlins, or wooly mammoths. They have bonded to you (and you to them) and they are part of your family and you are part of there flock. Ducks are intelligent creatures and are extremely adaptable to situations. In your situation, they are most definitely your pets and a significant part of your life and vice versa. Just because it has two waddled feet instead of four does not mean it is any less of a pet.

If you had grabbed some mallards from the lake, put diapers on them, forced them inside and ignored there quacks for freedom as they sit by the back door then yeah your mom has a point, but short of that.............

oh, and yeah, its your house.....your rules.

And another thing, tell her that if you let them out into the world as she suggests, they would die...period.
hit.gif
Domesticated ducks cannot survive in the wild, a point for the pet argument.

Thanks everyone, her reasoning is that I should give them to a sanctuary and has even gone and called a few. She seems to think that they are not capable of being house pets even though I repeatedly tell her that they have access to the outside and a swimming pond and are not just being cooped up in the house 24/7.

Thanks everyone, her reasoning is that I should give them to a sanctuary and has even gone and called a few. She seems to think that they are not capable of being house pets even though I repeatedly tell her that they have access to the outside and a swimming pond and are not just being cooped up in the house 24/7.

Why cant they be house pets? I would not even entertain the conversation or argument further until she answers that question. Are the ducks happy? ok then........

I would think that a sanctuary would ask and/or say the same thing? Why do you need to surrender the ducks. Better yet, call the sanctuary and say "I have X number of very happy ducks living in my house. I love them, they love me, how do I go about surrendering them?" Make sure your mom is on the phone when you make that call.

Back
Top Bottom