Mother picking at hatched chicks

olliek

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2019
Hi all. I have a broody silver laced Wyandotte. Over the last couple days two chicks have hatched. First occasion the Wyandotte threw the chick out and on the second one it had already started to pick up the chick when I got there.
can anyone help me understand why?

i have both chicks removed from the mother and they are under a heat lamp. Number 1 (Momo) is a couple of days old and doing well. Number 2 is a couple of hours old and has a wound that bled at its neck. It seems to have stopped bleeding but it looks Like a significant wound for a chick. It is making efforts to get up but I don’t know a) what to do with the wound and b) is it going to survive? Any suggestions?

I would keep a close eye on her and remove any more chicks as they hatch. I would not allow her to set again - some hens are just not good mothers. Hopefully the chick will survive. If the wound is extensive apply some antibiotic ointment.

I would keep a close eye on her and remove any more chicks as they hatch. I would not allow her to set again - some hens are just not good mothers. Hopefully the chick will survive. If the wound is extensive apply some antibiotic ointment.
Thanks A lot. Yes, I will not have her set again. My black Cochin is a super mom, this one not so much. Can I just use regular antibiotic Creme that I alreadu have for all the rusty nails I walk into?

Back
Top Bottom