1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Motion censored predator detectors/deterrents?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Inkheart, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I have been seeing in some catalogs devices that are weather proof and solar powered- basically if something comes into their sight they put out either a flashing red light or a faux pair of blinking red "eyes" to get the predator off track. Does anyone use these - have any experience with them? Thoughts on their effectiveness? Sounds good but not sure - never even heard or seen them till recently!
    Thanks

2. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I've been using 'Night Guard' for several years with no predator intrusions into my chicken yard. I also have a stout fence plus an electric fence plus motion sensitive lights also. Seems to be a good product.

3. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:What does the Night Guard do exactly ?

4. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    anyone have any experience with these devices????

5. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Don't know about "Night Guard" but a plain motion detector light does NOT work at all. Have had chickens and a cat killed right under one...by both possums and racoons. Seems like it just makes their upcoming dinner easier to find. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Wire your motion sensor to a radio or a sprinkler system. Radio is much better as the sudden noise seems to stop them in their tracks. Not sure why the sprinkler works, again maybe the nosiem and not the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by