motion sensor lights

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Has anyone ever hooked up any motion sensor lights on there coop? Wondering if it will chase any bears,foxes,etc.?

i just put them on my new coop. These have two settings - a low light setting for all the time, then they flash on much brighter when motion is detected. Of course, they only come on after the chickens go in to roost. But, I have an electric fence that surrounds the whole thing. That is the BEST defense! My coop is not visible from my house and pretty isolated, so Im taking all kinds of precautions.

Last edited:
Quote:
Friend of mine has one of those moving noisy Halloween props you get at WM hooked to a censor and says it scares the beejeebers out of critters entering his yard at night. It is some kind of skeleton thing with moving arms and legs from what I gathered, haven't seen it as he lives in MI and I am in AZ, but sounds like it would do the trick better than a light.

He tried lights, but coons and foxes ignored it.....

The lights could work as a signal to you to come and see if there is danger near. Otherwise they probably won't scare anything away. From my experience, you need movement or noise.

We have a solar motion sensor light on the front of one of our coops, and it is working for now. We watched our security video one night and the light went on and off for 30 or 40 minutes, but the animal never crossed in front of the coop. Over time the critters will get used to it, and it will not scare them off.It is nice to have the light for other reasons, though.

Motion sensor lights didn't do squat for me...only helped the predators see better to kill. A racoon even killed one of my cats last year who was sleeping in an igloo house in front of my front door UNDER A WORKING MOTION SENSOR LIGHT.
he.gif

Have opened my door many times to see a possum right under the light...only thing stopped predators for me was a trap and a 20g. pump.

Last edited:
it might scare them off at first but they'll get used to it quick. I like the idea about the motion sensor halloween things and prob on sale for extra cheap right now. I might just have to try it.

Quote:

Friend of mine has one of those moving noisy Halloween props you get at WM hooked to a censor and says it scares the beejeebers out of critters entering his yard at night. It is some kind of skeleton thing with moving arms and legs from what I gathered, haven't seen it as he lives in MI and I am in AZ, but sounds like it would do the trick better than a light.

He tried lights, but coons and foxes ignored it.....
I thought of doing that myself as I have some of those thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom